Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Death by Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Default Death by Voltage

Hey everyone! I'm having an issue with my battery dieing constantly so I discovered that my alternator is over charging. So my question is whether this is only an alternator problem or if the voltage regulator has crapped out as well. But ... I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know if the voltage regulator on this vehicle is built into the alternator?

*edit* Haha! I just realized I never mentioned what vehicle I'm speaking of. Woops. Anyway, I have a 2004 4 cyl tribute.

Last edited by tr4cy; 05-18-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I would say yes and yes.
If the voltage regulator is not seeing that the battery is fully charged, it is not shutting off. Therefore the alternator itself is working over time as well.
Yes, all modern charging systems, that I am aware of, use a built in voltage regulator. This does not mean that it can't be replaced by itself as an alternative to buying a completely rebuild alternator which would include a voltage regulator (and diode pack) in it. It lives inside the alternator body, but can often be replaced as an independent unit... if available as a separate piece that is.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 PM

Well yes and no. The alternator contains the diodes and regulator, but the regulator gets its orders from the ECU.
95% of the time it's the internal regulator that's gone, the other 5% of the time it's bad connections. You can check your battery negative to chassis connection, the engine block ground connection, the alternator mounting bolts, and the multi-conductor plug to the alternator.
I don't think alternator rebuild kits are sold anymore, so if it's not wiring, it's 200+ bucks for another alternator I'm afraid.