Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Engine stand mounting - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 07:39 AM
Default Engine stand mounting - Need advice

Hey guys, I could use a little advice before I proceed here.
I've got the engine pulled on an 03 tribute, the 3.0. I intend to take it to load it in the pick-up and take it to a welder to remove the exhaust studs, some of which are snapped.. But due to space limitations, I can't just use the engine crane and load it into the bed, so I figured I'd need a stand! Having trouble figuring out how to mount it to a stand though. The engine to bell housing mounting bolts are pretty small diameter, and every stand I can find has bolt holes for larger diameter fasteners.

These are what I'm referring to here, the tubing part being too large regarding internal diameter.
I figured just using washers to compensate would be unsafe, so then thought spacers, but I'd love to hear what others have done.
As a follow up issue, I'm trying to find an appropriate stand where the arms won't obstruct each other. I'm looking at a sunex stand sold via home depot, but it's pricey and would take a while to arrive.. Already tried Harbor Freight's 1 ton stand and it was too clunky/big..

Thanks a bunch to anyone who replies! I'll be sure to follow up with images of fitment and such once I get it all figured out.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pyts
Hey guys, I could use a little advice before I proceed here.
I've got the engine pulled on an 03 tribute, the 3.0. I intend to take it to load it in the pick-up and take it to a welder to remove the exhaust studs, some of which are snapped.. But due to space limitations, I can't just use the engine crane and load it into the bed, so I figured I'd need a stand! Having trouble figuring out how to mount it to a stand though. The engine to bell housing mounting bolts are pretty small diameter, and every stand I can find has bolt holes for larger diameter fasteners.

These are what I'm referring to here, the tubing part being too large regarding internal diameter.
I figured just using washers to compensate would be unsafe, so then thought spacers, but I'd love to hear what others have done.
As a follow up issue, I'm trying to find an appropriate stand where the arms won't obstruct each other. I'm looking at a sunex stand sold via home depot, but it's pricey and would take a while to arrive.. Already tried Harbor Freight's 1 ton stand and it was too clunky/big..

Thanks a bunch to anyone who replies! I'll be sure to follow up with images of fitment and such once I get it all figured out.

I've used washers before with no trouble. Just get some bolts like your bell housing bolts but longer so the arms have something to work with. Go with grade 8 bolts and washers. If washers will hold a heavy 241 Hemi out of a '54 Dodge, grade 8 will hold a partially aluminum engine like you have. Just use regular sized washers with maybe some fender washers to keep them from pulling through.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:24 PM

Oh! You're suggesting making bolt spacers out of a row of numerous washers within the bore of the stand's arms, then locking them in place so to speak with larger outside diameter fender washers. That's a great idea and work-around for ordering specialty spacers from McMaster-Carr and I'll be sure to use it in the future!

Yesterday I elected to overcome my issue by building an engine dolly of sorts.

Have a bunch of dimensional lumber that was given to me a while back, and not a lot of cash at the moment, so I threw this together, borrowing casters from my old home-made toolbox.

After some small adjustments (reducing handle height, increasing step height) centering and strapping it in I figure it'll do for transport. Supporting the oil pan in two places. Kinda what I was stuck with doing anyways since I couldn't figure out the stand.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:38 PM

You want the larger washers against the engine stand. The smaller washers will stack on top of those to hold the bolt head. This way they can't pull the head through the hole.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:17 AM

Understood!
Thanks so much for replying and being a forum contributor. I searched high and low for a solution to this issue and everything I was able to dig up didn't cover unusual fitments. I wasn't able to find aftermarket engine stand fingers that had narrower diameter bores, and all the aftermarket mounting plates I located were for Chevy engines (which seem to get all the attention). I'm quite thrilled to have found some solid advice and impressed with the depth of knowledge I'm seeing on this forum.