Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Faulty Mazda tribute 2002

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 04:28 AM
Default Faulty Mazda tribute 2002

After driving for some distance my car is losing revs then stalls/stops and the engine light is on. When I check the he engine it's very hot. After some time it will start. It will be okay for some days and then the same problem will come back again. What could be the problem?

Old 02-26-2023, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chilufya
After driving for some distance my car is losing revs then stalls/stops and the engine light is on. When I check the he engine it's very hot. After some time it will start. It will be okay for some days and then the same problem will come back again. What could be the problem?
For me those symptoms were the result of a clogged downstream catalytic converter. The uppers, each integrated with the exhaust headers, had severe leaks at the cylinder head to manifold connection that caused deterioration of the internal honeycome. That all fell out and clogged the downstream cat. But you'd have to have reason to suspect converter failure, like exhaust leaks or a long neglected poorly running engine. You can hit up an autoparts store to get codes pulled for free if needed.

My project had other symptoms besides heat and poor running. Since it's severe enough to cause stalling for you, you should have a check engine light and/or stored codes. Coils, injectors, so on.. there's a lot of variables without codes. Bring those back and post 'em up, then we can make some headway on yer diagnostic.
Oh, and if there are any other negative behavioral attributes separating your tribute from driving like when it was brand new, even if they preceded the stalling issue, add those to your post too.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:48 AM
Default List of ODB2 Scan Code Readers

If interested in buying your own ODB2 Scan Code Reader, here is a link to Scotty Kilmer's ODB2 Scanners Readers. The list starts at less than US$50 and goes up from there.
https://carkiller.com/scottykilmer/postid/226842/

Old 02-27-2023, 10:17 AM

jefftribute why are you promoting this scanner on three threads all new posts when you joined? Are you trying to promote a product that you sell or have an invested interest in? BTW IMHO Scotty K should retire he gets a lot of things incorrect, inaccurate and in some cases just wrong not to mention he is very opinionated