Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

gas filling problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Default gas filling problem

Recently I've found that I can't set the auto clip on the gas pump as it shuts off after a second. It even does that when I try to fill manually. Works a bit better if I reduce the pressure but still stops a lot. Tried different angles with the pump and different stations. Takes ages to fill up. Some kind of sensor? Can I fix it? This is a 2005 Tribute with no other problems.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Default RE: gas filling problem

I also have a 2005 with that problem. When I turn the nozzle completely around, it will fill.The nozzle shutoff doesn't cut off right away, so you need to know about how much fuel is needed.

Hope somebody has an answer.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Default RE: gas filling problem (Solution is here!)

Hi guys,

The problem is with the broken seal around tank breatherer that located on the bottom of the car. This is one of the many issues with Tribute, I had the same issue with 2006 GT. Here is how it works. Tank has 2 holes - one out (gas go to engine) and one in (to take air to compensate pressure). This in is going with the pipe under the car into small box with filter - this is how tank can breath. If the sealer on this box is broken - water gets inside, and when temperature is below 0 - boom, filter is frozen, cannot breath - cannot fill gas (because air cannot go out and gas pistol kicks out). Just go to Mazda dealership and ask them to re-seal this breatherer. Also tell them that this is known issue with many cars - may be you can get it fized for free. In my case it was under warranty so it was free, but it took for them some time to figure this out. I even had to take guy from dealership to gas station and show this problem because they did not believe me in first place.

Hope this will help you. I know it is warm now and this problem is gone, but next winter it will come back, trust me. So get it fixed when you can!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:50 PM

This same thing happens quite often over the past 2 years with my tribute as well. Sometimes you can get it to work by monkeying around with how far the nozzle is in.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:14 PM

I have the same problem! One of the things I HATE about the Tribute! Certain stations pumps seem to work better, but usually I have to keep moving the nozzle, pulling it out some, trying not to pull the trigger too hard. A real pain! Also, I live in a warm climate and it happens all times of the year. Our weather never gets below 0, so mine is not caused by freezing!