Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Hi, new member, new tribute, few things.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Default Hi, new member, new tribute, few things.

Hi guys,

Im new here Just bought my first Mazda

Its an 02plate tribute 2.0 manual 4x4 GSi.

Its done 60k and is very nice condition in and out. Got it for £2000. MOT'ed till March 2012

Im planning to put some winter tyres on it and hopefully we get LOADS of snow

I've had it 24 hours now and it has a few little problems was wondering if you guys could tell me if they are serious and or easy fixes.

1 - I'm going to do an oil change, I have no manual but the on-line manual says to use 5w20 oil. can that really be true? is that not mega mega thin? I'm pretty sure i've never even seen that oil in a shop??

2 - The air blower doesn't work unless its on full whack, all or nothing.

3 - Drivers door only opens from the outside

4 - there is a small knock from the NSF wheel

5 - I ran my fingers under the bottom lip of the rear diff and there was some oil there, not a huge amount, not dripping and the diff "looks" dry but definitely some oil along the base of where the seal plate meets the diff housing.

Thanks for reading this guys and hope to share some stuff with you in the future.

beany_bot

Old 09-22-2011, 03:01 AM

Just noticed something else odd.

The 4x4 doesn't seem to come on when ive got the front tyres spinning. It works fine if i press the button though.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 AM

No-one?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:29 AM

If anyone cares ive fixed the things i mentioned myself.

1 - I'm going to do an oil change, I have no manual but the on-line manual says to use 5w20 oil. can that really be true? is that not mega mega thin? I'm pretty sure i've never even seen that oil in a shop?? I bought 5w30 Ford oil.

2 - The air blower doesn't work unless its on full whack, all or nothing. Still to fix

3 - Drivers door only opens from the outside Removed door panel and did a home fix

4 - there is a small knock from the NSF wheel wishbone bush, bought a new wishbone

5 - I ran my fingers under the bottom lip of the rear diff and there was some oil there, not a huge amount, not dripping and the diff "looks" dry but definitely some oil along the base of where the seal plate meets the diff housing. offside driveshaft oil seal, replaced.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:09 AM

You aint from around here are ya....Just kidding....some good ole Kentucky redneck humor. Since you are getting your new tribute road ready I would suggest you get a K-N air filter this will help you to get more MPG's. As for tires I kind of like the BF GOODRICH LONG TRAIL TA's. They ride smooth and still get a grip in the snow. Also you might try some RAIN-X on your windshield. As far as your blower you might be able to look here at some older posts for a solution to that issue. If you have any problems with your truck this is a great site with some pretty smart folks that like to help each other. The Tributes are basically the same as the Ford Escapes so here is another site you can get answers from..Redirect
Good luck with your truck.....Bob

Old 10-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Manhattan
You aint from around here are ya....Just kidding....some good ole Kentucky redneck humor. Since you are getting your new tribute road ready I would suggest you get a K-N air filter this will help you to get more MPG's. As for tires I kind of like the BF GOODRICH LONG TRAIL TA's. They ride smooth and still get a grip in the snow. Also you might try some RAIN-X on your windshield. As far as your blower you might be able to look here at some older posts for a solution to that issue. If you have any problems with your truck this is a great site with some pretty smart folks that like to help each other. The Tributes are basically the same as the Ford Escapes so here is another site you can get answers from..Redirect
Good luck with your truck.....Bob
Hey, thanks for your response. Im from Scotland

It already has a K-N air filter

Ive got 4 of these sitting in my shed about to be put on next weekend

Should see me through the winter nicely.

I've had a look at some of the blower posts. It would appear I need a new blower resistor but I cant seem to find any in the UK, only in the good ole USA. Ill give my local Mazda dealer a ring tomorrow or i could just get one shipped from the states.

thanks again

Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Could anyone tell me, is the blower resistor from a 2002 tribute (2.0lt) shared with any other "common" cars? I cant find one here in the uk and we dont have escapes here either, is it any other common mazdas or fords?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:45 AM

See if this cuts the mustard for ya...Mazda Pickup Blower Motor Resistor - AM Autoparts

Last edited by Manhattan; 10-20-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 AM