Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Mazda tribute 2.3 rough idle/ stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 10:09 AM
Default Mazda tribute 2.3 rough idle/ stalls out

Hello I have a 2008 mazda tribute 2.3L I bought used and drove great for a bit then it started running rough no power. Had a large evap leak code and when wife filled it up one day she noticed gas pouring out underneath. I ended up replacing the whole fuel pump assembly because it was cracked. I replaced it first with a Ford escape 2.3l pump and assembly because it was cheaper. It erased the code but ran terrible. (Still runs terrible now). Basically you start it up and idles up good thrn the idle just falls off barely runs, you can hear it almost like purging out the air filter. Sounds like a little diesel and if you keep your foot on the gas it will eventually just loose power at idle and die. If you try to drive it you can about 100ft down the road won't wanna shift to 2nd and it will die. I ended up replacing the Ford escape fuel pump with a aftermarket one offline that again was cheaper lol but for a amazda tribute. Still run bad and I have no codes to go off of so I've done stuff like replace the IAC valve, throttle body control sensor because it was broken, fuel filter, spark plugs, swapped coils off of another mazda 2.3 I have in my driveway, and I believe a changed the fuel pressure regulatory as well. Also replaced the pcv valve and hose. Still runs like crap and no codes. Wondering if the cheaper fuel pump I bought is just crap or what. I have a fancy snap on scanner because I'm also and diesel mechanic. But yeah I'm stumped.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:58 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 03-04-2023, 11:55 AM

Have you ever tried messing with the torque app? It can allow you to read some values and do a mock emissions test to see what passes and fails. I'm not familiar with snap on scanners, but if it has those kinds of features it would be a cool way to get an idea of what's going on! That's assuming the ecm is functioning properly and hasn't been reset in a while. That set-up could also tell you if evap is up to snuff

Have the ignition coils ever been replaced? Could you upload a vid or clip including the sound/approx location where it's loudest?

Uhh.. Oh, any idea what caused that crack in the fuel pump?
And finally, how's your day going besides?

Old 05-23-2023, 09:49 PM

Did you ever figure it out? What did you end up doing?