Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

MISFIRE !!!! HELP !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Default MISFIRE !!!! HELP !!!!!

[8D] Making sure all the fluids in the Tribute were topped up for a drive to Los Angeles from San Diego last Sunday. Didn’t realize I hadn’t replaced the oil filler cap. “What a disaster” only realized my mistake on exiting the 101 freeway ( 105 miles from home) . There was smoke coming from under the hood. On opening the hood I seen the mess, oil everywhere. I left it for a few, then checked the dipstick. It was just below the “low” . At no time did any warning lights come on so I reckoned I hadn’t done any serious damage. Topped the oil up then went to a self operated car wash to clean off the engine. No problems returning home to San Diego. Decided to clean the engine further on Monday (power washed) . Following that it began to run rough. Warning light came on so went to Autozone to find the code.Came back that cylinders 1 and 4 were misfiring codes P0301 and P0304(felt like not at all). Told the guy the story and he said blow air onto the plugs and leads to remove any water. Have done so, but still no joy ! Any ideas anyone ?

Old 06-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Default RE: MISFIRE !!!! HELP !!!!!

JimC, please see my latest post. You may actually have an ignition coil problem; although you may be entering into the frustrating realm that I am entering. Switch your ignition coils around and see if the misfire follows the "bad" coils. If it does then replace your coils.

Mike

Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Also, you may have forced water into some electrical connectors that are easier to get wet than they are to dry out.
May I suggest you disconnect the battery first, then disconnect and dry any/every connector you can see under the hood.A highalcohol content can help with that too... like a 90/10 rubbing/injection gradealcohol.If you have a can of spray electrical component cleaner around, use that.
Let everything air dry completely before reconnecting.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reply guy's ! Here's what happened ! After I had posted on here, I immediately went back to the vehicle and systematically removed each plug lead /plug on # 1 and 4 cylinders. I had my wife turn over the engine to see if there was a spark (held close to bodywork) on each plug. At first there didn't appear to be much of a spark, nonetheless after a few turns of the engine I sensed that things were OK in that dept. I proceeded to clean off the plugs then sprayed WD 40 on all of the leads. Started the vehicle up and it ran like a dream and has been like that ever since (fingers crossed).