Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

mp3 player and remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Question mp3 player and remote starter

I have no complaints with my 05 tribute except i'd like to connect my mp3 player to the stereo. Do I need to replace the stereo completely or is there a way to connect it to the existing stereo?? I'd also like a remote starter. Any suggestions as to what brand?

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Default remote starter

My former winter vehicle was a 93 Accord automatic. I had a one-way ProStart remote starter installed for $199 CDN last fall. I was a bit hesitant to install it on such an old car, but it was in such great shape, so I went for it. It gave me remote entry capability, and the starter worked great for one winter. I just sold the car, so hopefully it continues to give great service to the new rightful owner.
I had a two-way remote starter installed on a 5 speed Mazda Protege5 too, cost me $400 new. It was a combo starter/alarm, and worked great over the 5 yrs I had the car, as long as I followed the exit sequence req'd for manual transmissions. It was a Power Start I believe, supplied by GIT Security (gitsecurity.com) It can be installed for automatics too, it's just a different brain.
If you want one of the better ones, get a two-way FM unit. This provides feedback to the remote, and if it's a combo alarm, the remote will beep if the alarm goes off. They have a long range too, like 1/4 - 1/2 mile I believe.

Cheers, Mark

Old 11-14-2009, 12:10 PM

look up ultrastart on ebay from a dealer called 3alarmdeals. I have bought multiple of their brand, and the seller will provide a wiring diagram too. you will also need a bypass kit that he will offer to sell... to get around the security feature of your car. I have an 01 tribute... the whole package cost me about $80 and I installed it myself. If you don't know electronics well, .... have someone else do it professionally... you will be messing with quite a few wires critical to the car's operation when doing this... so you don't want to mess it up!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Default MP3 Connectivity

lmvp17,
There are basically 3 ways to connect an MP3 player to your '05 Tribute besides getting a new unit - cassette adapter, FM modulator or aux port addition.
Most people are never really happy with the cassette adapter or FM modulator solutions although they do work after a fashion. I used the cassette adapter for a while but then found a company on ebay that not only sells refurb OEM units w/aux ports installed but also can convet your OEM unit to have an aux port. They go by the name of 1factoryradio on ebay. They charged me $50 + $10 for shipping to add an aux port to my Mazda 626 OEM Bose combo unit (AM/FM/CD/Cass). A bit more expensive than the other two solutions but it works great and looks great too. My unit could not accommodate the aux port on the face of the unit so they put it on a 30" cable. I installed the aux port into the front "wall" of my center console and my MP3 player is hidden away there while I enjoy my tunes and audiobooks.
Best of luck.