Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

New owner of an 05 Tribute.Alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Default New owner of an 05 Tribute.Alarm question

Hello, and thanks for this great forum..

I just purchased a pre-owned 2005 4X4 Mazda Tribute. Here's my dilemma.
When I press the LOCK button on the remote once, the doors lock. The second time I press it, it chirps indicating the alarm is set. Inside I can see the little alarm indicator on the dashboard, and if I press the panic button the alarm wails.

BUT, if I set the alarm, wait a minute and open a door (either by being inside the vehicle or by leaving a window open and opening it from the outside - the alarm does not go off.

I've read the manual multiple times, and since I didnt buy it from a Mazda dealer, I'm afraid to go there and have to pay $50 for a simple procedure.

So, if anyone knows the secret combination, I'll be forever in your debt

One more thing. It came with 2 keys and 1 remote, so I bought another remote from ebay, making sure all the numbers were the same. Please advise on any steps I need to take to "connect" the ebay remote with the vehicle.

Thank you
ED in NJ

Old 10-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Default RE: New owner of an 05 Tribute.Alarm question

Anyone out there...please...

Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 PM

As I learned a few months back when my GPS was ripped off, I came to that same realization. It is not an alarm but only an ignition cut off switch so the car cannot be hot wired/stolen etc. You get the discount on insurance as an alarm because the insure covers a stolen car. It is not an alarm in the sense that it alerts if it is broken into thus insurance does not cover things inside the car that are stolen ( unless you want to pay the high deductable and/or file a home owner claim on the lost items).

Old 10-06-2007, 08:54 PM

First a HUGE !!!! thank u for replying..

Truly, I was beginning to feel like everyone else was thinking "that moron just doesnt understand the manual"

Second, I cannot live with that wonderful Mazda design so I have secured the assistance of a local firm who for the low low low price of $450 will install a REAL LOUD alarm, a kill switch (on top of the factory POS), and a remote start for those cold winter morns...

That way my insurance WILL cover items stolen because I have proof of a passive deterrent beyond the bogus ignition cut off..

But I want to thank you a million times for clueing me in to the design.

You shall have a bit of good luck befall u this week... (remember I told you so !)
ED

Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 PM

According to the 05' workshop Manual, there is a Anit-theft- perimeter alarm system, supposed to provide audible and visual notification if the hood is ajar, doors or the rear liftgate. there is a smart junction box (SJB) that monitors the status of these points. So while enabled if a door or hood or rear liftgate is opened the horn and flashers will be energized by a relay. I haven't tried mine yet, but I will, and not sure if this is standard as well.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Well, I gave up, and decided to get a Compustar 2 way pager alarm, and a remote starter.

The alarm is QUITE piercing, and living in the Bronx, that is a necessity.

And the pager lets me know if Level A) Someone tapping on the glass B) Someone has broken the glass and/or has illegally entered the vehicle C)Has attempted to start the vehicle.

The installer advised that if B) or C) happens, dont be a hero - Call the cops ASAP.

And living in the Northeast, the remote starter will be a nice feature, and even though the alarm is still engaged with the car started, if someone attempted to put the car in gear with the engine running, the immobilizer kicks in and the car stops, and will not restart.

So, given the options, I think I made a good decision and I'm looking forward to a warm car on a cold winter morning.

Thank you for your feedback and advice...

ED