Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

PCV Valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 08:05 PM
Default PCV Valve

The old v6 pcv valve. I thought the ball inside it is supposed to block off when the engine is shut down. How can it, it is in the horizontal position thereafter causing a vacuum leak. When i shut mine down i pulled the hose of the intake manifold and blew into it and only then did the ball go down and close it off. So by all accounts i would have a permanent vacuum leak causing high rpm at startup. Somebody please correct me if i am wrong. Also when i blow and block it i can still blow air through it. I have to admit it takes a lot of pressure but it can be done. The current pcv valve is genuine and only a week old. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:27 PM
ipn

Have you checked the Oil in the rear Differential ?

Old 10-03-2020, 09:40 AM

PCV valves can work in any position. To check the valve remove and either blow into it or with NO MORE THEN 5psi from a compressor blow in to the one side then the other. One side should close the valve and reduce the flow. Most OEM as well stock PCV valve generally will not seem to completely close be this testing method. Some aftermarket (I engineered and offered for a while my *BLV=Boost Lock Valve)one way valve are better for boosted engine i.e. *Turbocharged or *Supercharged engines.

There is much more to the explanation of the closed crankcase system and the separate components like the PCV valve but I don't feel like typing out all that info that can be researched if anyone is really interested?

Best thing to do with a PCV valve is to replace it if you do not know of its condition or how to properly clean it without damaging it.

Generic picture: