Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Possible faulty headlight switch.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Default Possible faulty headlight switch.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem that has just started in my 01 tribute. When I turn the switch one position up to the running lights they do not always come on, in fact now it is getting worse. When I do move the switch up to the second postion (headlights) they will come on but the running light are still not on. I have to keep turning them on and off until they by chance work. When I am able to get them working everything does work. I have not checked the relay, I would think this would be more of a problem with the switch itself? any thoughts on what I could do?

Thank You...

Old 09-11-2009, 05:01 PM

From your description it sounds like the stalk switch alright; as I recall, the running lights are directly connected, i.e. no separate relay. You could try a good squirt of contact cleaner into where the switch is attached to the steering column, it might confirm your diagnosis and buy you a bit of time. Meanwhile, I'll double check my Protege shop manual to confirm the direct connection bit.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 AM

Ok first, thank you oldeng for your help. But I was wrong it was the relay under the kick panel after all. My friend runs a auto radio shop he did all of the testing to see if there was a short, but he actually heard the relay clicking when he moved it up the the running light postion. So he pulled it and sure enough it was very corroded. Lucky he had some extra ford relay's laying around plugged it in and boom the problem was fixed. Now to just get that driver side inner door handle fixed. Again thank you for taking the time to answer my post