Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Random grinding/thumping when braking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Default Random grinding/thumping when braking.

Hi All,

I have a intermittent problem when I brake and I do not know what is causing it. I own a 2001 Tribute.

This problem is very random. It canhappen 4 timesone day and then 0 times the next. It happens when I apply the brakes at any speed either just to slow down or come to a complete stop. The road conditions don't matter either. Dry, wet, bumpy, or smooth. I have had the brakes looked over twice by two different mechanics and both say the brakes look good. I had the first mechanic (Mazda Service) do the front brakes (new pads, new rotors, and the calipers serviced) in an effort to fix the problem but it still exists.

When the problem occurs there is a grinding noise and a thumping sound.I can feel the thumping vibrating through the brake peddle but I don't feel anything through the steering wheel. As the car slows down, the pitch of the grinding noise gets lower and the frequency of the thumping is less. Obviously, when I come to a complete stop I don't hear it. While driving I could hit the brakes and reproduce the problem one moment and then continue driving the rest of the day (i.e., braking many times) and not here/feel it again until the next day or the day after that. I have no problem braking meaning, the car reduces speed just as it did before the problem started.

This is really driving me crazy. The last mechanic I brought it to said both front and rear brakes are fine and the car is safe to drive but I'd like to get this issue fixed regardless. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Default RE: Random grinding/thumping when braking.

Well, I think the problem might be solved although I guess I should wait until I actually get the ABS fixed but regardless.......

I went to another auto mechanic who asked "Is it the ABS kicking in?" I told him I didn't think it was because I thought it didn't sound/feel like the ABS but after a while I thought it could be. The question was how do I test it tomake sureit is the ABS? I decided to remove the fuse for the ABSfrom the fuse panel to see what would happen. The problem disappeared for two months. I put the fuse back in and the problem started happening again right away. I think the wheel speed sensors for the ABS system might be broken. I will take the car to the same mechanic who suggested the problem might be the ABS and see if he can fix the problem.
I'm soooo glad this problem is solved. However, now I have to pay to get it fixed. :-(

If you don't see a follow-up post then you can assume that it was the ABS and not something else. I hope this info helps somebody else.