Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Rear wiper motor seized on window - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Default Rear wiper motor seized on window - advice?

While scanning the forum, it seems the failure of the rear wiper motor is rather common (probably moreso on the Escape, but then there are lots more Escapes out there). I bought mine with a dead rear wiper motor, knowing I'd have to get it fixed or live without it.
I had some work done recently and asked the fellow to fiddle with the replacement motor I bought from eBay (since I'm not Mr. Fixit myself). He seemed to think it would be an easy fix, or swap, but there is a seized bolt that stopped him. When he tried to apply pressure, the entire motor wanted to twist and since it's attached to glass, caution dictates backing off. I know the general advice would be to soak the bolt with penetrating oil and keep trying, but other than that, does anyone have any other suggestions? I was hoping he'd just be able to undo some parts on the old unit and swap them out with the "donor" parts.

Cheers, Mark

Old 10-14-2009, 03:53 PM

I think I know which bolt you talk about. It's the one that has the round painted part on the exterior of the window and holds the whole mechanism to it.
I tried to remove that whole unit this summer, and all I did was get the bolt loose, and then it was like it was seized - exactly what you describe.
Went to the stealer and they fixed it. The same bolt. I think there is a trick on how to pull it out / screw it back together. I tried taking it off with some vice grips, and also I tried to screw it back together with no luck. I thought I will bust the bolt or the window, that's how much pressure I applied. The bolt is back on as said earlier with all the scratch marks, but now I won't touch it until I find out what the trick to replace it is.

If anybody knows how to take that particular bolt out, please post it here.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Default yes

Originally Posted by doru
I think I know which bolt you talk about. It's the one that has the round painted part on the exterior of the window and holds the whole mechanism to it.
I tried to remove that whole unit this summer, and all I did was get the bolt loose, and then it was like it was seized - exactly what you describe.
Went to the stealer and they fixed it. The same bolt. I think there is a trick on how to pull it out / screw it back together. I tried taking it off with some vice grips, and also I tried to screw it back together with no luck. I thought I will bust the bolt or the window, that's how much pressure I applied. The bolt is back on as said earlier with all the scratch marks, but now I won't touch it until I find out what the trick to replace it is.

If anybody knows how to take that particular bolt out, please post it here.
I'm sure that's it! I am most interested in further comments.

Thanks, Mark

Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Default removing this rear wiper bolt

The way to remove it is by using a box wrench size 5mm (if I recall well) and screw it clockwise from the inside of the glass (i.e. the box fits at the end of the bolt) which will screw it out of the glass.
Maybe someone can help me with how to remove the wiper arm and the motor from the glass. I removed both locking things from under the arm but can't figure out the rest.
Thanks