Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Default RE: Tire Recommendations

Michelin XT4's are highly rated for quietness, snow traction, but not cost (about $140 each at Sears!)

Old 05-12-2008, 06:16 PM

I have a set of Yokohama HT/S. Not too bad for noise and pretty good on snow and ice. I have noticed though that avg km/full tank had dropped from 450 to 375 after switching from the Continental ContiTracs.

JME

Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 PM

The crappy Conti's that came on my car finally had to be laid to rest once I hit 50,000 miles. During the last 10,000 miles the inside edges had terrible wear and started to dry rot. The thing I hated most was that they seemed to pick up every single piece of trash on the road. After I had put the final patch in the front passenger tire I decided I needed to shop for new tires. I have always been a fan of Yokohoma's and I figured with all the reviews I read I should stick with them. Paired my rims up with a brand spanking new set of Yokohoma Geolander H/T-S's. I had to save up an extra week to get them as I hadn't originally planned to get new treads so early but like I said I was sick of patching those tires as I think I had about 2 patches in each tire at that point. My old man beat me to the punch as only a week before I bought my tires he called me up asking what he should put on his 06 Hyundai Santa Fe. I mentioned I was eying the Yoko's and sure enough he ran out and got the Geolander A/T-S's and he wouldn't stop talking how much he loved them. Now that I have my Yoko's I could never have been happier with the purchase. Too ironically my old man did this to me once before as I was up for treads on my 99 VW Jetta and picked out some Yokohoma Avids, and sure enough only a few weeks before I got mine he needed tires on his 04 Hyundai Sonata and we both had the same respect for their brand.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:18 PM

I, too, have experience a gas mileage drop with the original Contis gone. I guess there was something redeemable about them after all. I put on Cooper Discoverer H/Ts, and they are great for quietness and traction. However, my gas mileage has dropped from 23-24 to 21 (if I am lucky) with the same type of driving.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Default Tires for Mazda Tribute

I keep reading complaints about road noise. I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute with Uniroyal Laredo Tires. They are great tires. There is noise but that's the nature of the vehicle, not just the tires. My son-in-law is a salesman for Ford/Mazda. Unless you buy a high end SUV, such as a lexus, ie. You're going to have a certain amount of road noise. I don't have the problem of "singing tires" with the uniroyals. They have well over 50,000 miles and are still good. I will definitely buy them again.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 PM

I am now getting the same issue with my stock ContiTrac's (08 AWD GT). The road noise and vibrations are unreal! I want to trash them but the guy at my garage says there is lots of tread on them. Getting my winter Altimax's installed today, cannot wait for the quiet ride home.

He was thinking it may be bearings, but after my reading today I am sure it is the tires.

Thinking of picking up the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's in the spring. Anyone have any experience with these?

Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 PM

The Tribute / Escape have a slight negative camber on the front. This can cause uneven tire wear which will increase road noise. A good mechanic will be able to dial in a little more toe-in to compensate. Camber is not adjustable as is from factory.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Default Not Tires

So got the winters on. Good news and bad news I guess.

The noise is definitely not the tires, most likely the wheel bearings.