Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

2020 Mazda 2 is a Toyota Yaris in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 05:47 PM
Default 2020 Mazda 2 is a Toyota Yaris in the USA

I know my 2020 Yaris in the USA is actually a Mazda 2. How many of us are there on this forum? Thus far, I am extremely impressed with this car. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for this model? I picked the hatchback version, which I have learned is extremely rare.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:13 PM
Lightbulb Yaris hatch; 2020

I got mine a week ago, after test driving Corolla hatchback, which has a CVT and didn't like it. Drove Yaris and was "this is it".
I have a Toyota designed 2018, and Mazda's is more modern. Of ones I have seen in dealers online inventory, they have sold.

There's a few iA sedans around Chicago area, mostly in city. But now dealers seem to stock the hatchbacks,

Old 03-09-2020, 11:32 PM

My 2020 Yaris hatchback is the only one I have seen in my area. I wish more were stocked at the dealerships locally since this is a great little car. My hatchback is the only one my dealer has gotten so far.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:29 AM

I am going to assume the Mazda 2 / Toyota Yaris area is going to be a bit of a ghost town for the most recent models since it is a fairly new venture for both companies. I am enjoying reading about the previous models no longer sold in the USA. With my positive experiences with the new Mazda 2, I am actually seriously considering a Mazda 3 hatchback as my next vehicle.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by mirapatec
I am going to assume the Mazda 2 / Toyota Yaris area is going to be a bit of a ghost town for the most recent models since it is a fairly new venture for both companies. I am enjoying reading about the previous models no longer sold in the USA. With my positive experiences with the new Mazda 2, I am actually seriously considering a Mazda 3 hatchback as my next vehicle.
The Mazda3 could be considered a logical upgrade for the Mazda2 / Scion / Toyota / iA / Yaris. A little softer, a lot more powerful, a lot more refined.

I have both a 2016 iA and a 2019 Mazda3 AWD and had a 2015 Mazda3. Love the iA and the 2015 Mazda3. Like the 2019.

The problem with a Mazda forums is that the happy owners don’t have much to complain about and don’t need to join a forum to fix problems. Mazdas are reliable and more fun to drive than talk about.

A caution about upgrading from the Mazda2: If you like the small car dynamics of the Mazda2, don’t be too quick to move on, you may never find that again.

Now, if I could swap the 2.5 (and possible tor AWD drivetrain) from the Mazda3 for the 1.5 in the Mazda2, I would be set for life.

Zoom Zoom.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:31 AM

I'm about a month in with my 2020 Yaris Hatch up here in Ontario. I haven't seen any others around. They don't make it the easiest to get as anywhere outside of Quebec, you have to order the car from your dealership unless they happen to have one on a whim and depending on how far from Quebec you are, it cold be subject to an additional delivery charge according the website at least.
So far so good with it. I've been really impressed so far, especially with the interior on a "cheaper" car. While I've been mostly loyal to Toyota, I have had great experiences with a Miata I owned many years back so it's definitely not uncharted waters being back in the Mazda fold with this Mazda in Toyota badging.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:21 PM

One review pointed out that all the fun to drive Toyota’s are made by companies other than Toyota. (Supra by BMW, BRZ by Subaru and now Yaris by Mazda)

I saw another YouTuber that said Toyota will discontinue the Mazda based Yaris in 2021.

I emphatically agree with the first and hope the second is clueless.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:00 PM

"One review pointed out that all the fun to drive Toyota’s are made by companies other than Toyota. (Supra by BMW, BRZ by Subaru and now Yaris by Mazda)

I saw another YouTuber that said Toyota will discontinue the Mazda based Yaris in 2021.

I emphatically agree with the first and hope the second is clueless."

The second is true, I read it last week. Seems like such a waste to debut the hatch and pull it the same year.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by corolla3tc
The second is true, I read it last week. Seems like such a waste to debut the hatch and pull it the same year.
I have never seen a car that had such a rough start. Ours is a One-year-only Scion iA. Next was the Yaris iA, next Yaris Sedan and finally the hatchback.

Small cars have had it tough the last few years. Now may be the time for a comeback. If the economy is bad and the roads are less crowded, people may return to small cars.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Default also Mazda 2 and Toyota Yaris in México in 2019

The car vendor said that the Yaris and the Mazda 2 had the same chassis and engine, and yes, I tested both before buy,
and they are very similar, the only difference I could feel, was that the driving was a lot more stable in the Mazda, it feels more mature, if that could apply, vs the yaris, that I feel an exaggerated response in the driving.