Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

A/C Install *Fingers Crossed*

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Cool A/C Install *Fingers Crossed*

Hey Everyone. Picked up a beautiful M2 3 years ago for $1400 that's served me well since. Crossed the border to Canada to get it.. and realized some few months later that there weren't any components for a/c..

So as the story goes, the heat worked fine all winter and that's all I really cared about until summer came around and I'm melting in my car.

BUT this summer, I'm looking to start doing uber with it and I can't let customers melt all over the backseat. I'm sure I'd get horrible reviews.

I found a couple junkyards with donor cars that I'm guessing have a/c units.
My question is, What Parts Will I Need To Pull & Install?

So far I'm thinking (Apart from every line I can find going to and from these units) :

-compressor
-condensor (on back of radiator.. which scares me cause my radiator has been acting funky, but maybe i'll pull the whole face off another M2, front bumper and all and just bring that home to work on it. but the little cylinder on the side of the condensor as well.. i forget what that is.)

Guys... that's not a long list and I'm hoping I'm not in too far over my head. (i'll take it to a shop to finish up if I am)
Also, what should I be aware of in terms of electronics before tackling this? Hoping to visit a yard either this week or next weekend.

(Saw another guy post about his non a/c 2 being kinda hot in the summer poor guy lol)

Old 06-01-2022, 09:00 PM

Hey guys. Found another part that I was missing. So the running list of parts I'll need is now:
Compressor, Condenser, Accumulator (the little cylinder on the condenser I mentioned), and the Expansion Valve ( don't know if there's one in the car already, and don't see why one would be necessary without a/c installed).
Next steps are :
-tear down my dash and see what is/isn't there.
-go to the junkyard and tear another m2 up for parts and to see how things fit.

peace.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:27 PM

AC came standard, at least in the US market. Sounds like yours was at least partially removed by a previous owner. Definitely check the firewall to see if you can find the evap/ev poking through. Seems likely that was left alone if deleting the rest of the AC.

Make sure the wires/plugs for the compressor / pressure switch are still there.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:13 PM
Default Success

It was a job well done... I found out that you'll need a temp control unit from a mazda 2 with a/c (to get a button that'll properly toggle the a/c to work) but otherwise everything that's listed is what's necessary. I ended the summer riding in the cool. The connections from the expansion valve through the fire wall may be worth swapping out as the ends will be open for connecting to high and low side lines.