Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

DY Mazda 2 with Dynamic Stability Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 11:14 PM
Default DY Mazda 2 with Dynamic Stability Control

Hi

Would anyone have a DY Mazda 2 that could show me pictures of where the Dynamic Stability Control button (that disables traction/stability) might be placed and what it looks like?

Research project. I don't have one, but am looking at getting parts from one.

Luke

Old 01-29-2020, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Its not as simple as fitting a switch. If your car wasn't built with DSC system there will be no programming, sensors or outputs to control traction.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Its not as simple as fitting a switch. If your car wasn't built with DSC system there will be no programming, sensors or outputs to control traction.
Agreed.

I was trying to find out a way to identify from a picture of a DYM2 interior if the car had DSC or not - and the only way I think I could discover that is to find where the DSC disable switch is and what it looks like. I've since learned it is usually placed to the lower right of the steering wheel on RHD cars and have found some pics on eBay.co.uk - happy to post if others find it useful. I am actually interested in the whole Steering Column for possible use in a WQ/Mk6 Ford Fiesta XR4/ST150 (M2 has on-wheel buttons, indicator on the right etc), and the main difference is that DSC enabled cars have a Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) built into the assembly that holds the Clock-spring and Multi-function Switch Stalks. Stability Control relies on that and a YAW sensor - similar to the sensor in your mobile phone that can detect it's orientation for things like Surround photo's or Virtual Reality apps. The 2002-2007 Fiesta and 2002-2007 DY Mazda 2 otherwise use identical mechanicals, identical DSC modules, but have different plastics, wiring, trim and certain upper body sheet metal stampings. I am wanting to find out if the SAS and Airbags are compatible with the Ford, since the Steering Column and Shaft will otherwise bolt straight in.

If interested, the Ford Fiesta had a mini SUV version in Europe called the Fusion (not to be confused with the more recent US Mondeo-based Fusion) that continued to 2012 and shared all mechanical parts. And the Indian Figo Gen 1 that started manufacture in 2010 and lasted to 2015 was pretty much identical mechanically as well, with much of the rest just a minor evolution of the 2002-2007 Fiesta it was based on. So there is a source of new-ish parts for the DY Mazda 2 if one were happy with the sting of international shipping.

Luke