Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Mazda 2 Dy Rear seat folding

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 12:49 AM
Default Mazda 2 Dy Rear seat folding

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Dy which has the folding split rear seats. I need to be able to fold them up but I cannot find the strap to release the seat base to allow it to fold forwards.

I have spent a couple of hours today trying to find a way to release the lock/catch to allow the seats forward but I cannot get it to go. The strap which is meant to be there seems to be gone, I am assuming it has gone under the seat out of reach or has been pushed out of view. I have had the seat folded once about 6 years ago so I know it does it, but I cannot get it to go.

It it is also virtually impossible to find any information on these rear seats and see pictures of them to understand the locking mechanism.

Does anyone one have any hints or tips or even a picture of the bottom of their seat and the locks so I can work out how to release them?

it seems that you cannot remove the rear seat without folding it up as there seems to be a bolt I can’t see or get to either.

Manual

Old 11-27-2019, 07:19 AM

This is the kind of stuff I look for on these forums. Thanks for showing me this because it would have probably taken me a long time to find this. I just bought a Mazda Demio today and have been looking around it. To answer your question: move the bench seat as far back as you can (to the rear of the car) then you can pull that plastic strap and lift the bench seat up. Honda Fits have a similar function that I almost got for that trick alone so I am glad to see that this can do it as well.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:03 PM

Did you ever find a solution to this?
i am curious as I have the same problem

Old 03-21-2020, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Jeffery
Did you ever find a solution to this?
i am curious as I have the same problem
Had this one last week, you have 2 options.

1. Remove the grey plastic covers on the side of the seats and you will see a black bracket. Pushing a flat bladed screw driver into the front of the bracket on both sides simultaneously will unlock the seat.

2. Looking under the front of the seats in the middle there will be Velcro holding a cover on. Opening the cover you will see 4 black cable tubes. The middle 2 cables running towards the back of the seat will go to a bracket. Push a long flat bladed screw driver over the cable bracket and onto the tab when the cables hook in. Push towards the back of the seat until it unlocks.

I'll try to get some pictures Monday.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:20 PM
Default Help!!!

Originally Posted by Jonathan Moore
Had this one last week, you have 2 options.

1. Remove the grey plastic covers on the side of the seats and you will see a black bracket. Pushing a flat bladed screw driver into the front of the bracket on both sides simultaneously will unlock the seat.

2. Looking under the front of the seats in the middle there will be Velcro holding a cover on. Opening the cover you will see 4 black cable tubes. The middle 2 cables running towards the back of the seat will go to a bracket. Push a long flat bladed screw driver over the cable bracket and onto the tab when the cables hook in. Push towards the back of the seat until it unlocks.

I'll try to get some pictures Monday.

Would you be able to please post pictures/be more specific. I removed the side covers but cannot find the black bracket you're referring to and under the seats there are only two cables, one going left one going right and these activate the seat sliding mechanism.

thank you so much!!! 😄