Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Passenger wing mirror constant noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Default Passenger wing mirror constant noise

Hello,
I am currently having an issue with the passenger side wing mirror making a constant noise when the engine is on.
Once the engine is off it continues for around 20 seconds then stops.
It also stops if I partially depress the button that controls the mirror and hold my finger on it but resumes when it isn't held in place. The mirror has not been hit as far as I am aware and it still tilts when activated by the button but does not fold in automatically now.
Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this and what my options/likely cost to rectify please?
Thank you.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the "auto fold" motor has spat the dummy. How old is the car?

Old 04-10-2021, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Sounds like the "auto fold" motor has spat the dummy. How old is the car?
Thanks for the reply. It's around 7 years old. Is it likely to be costly to repair? Thanks

Old 07-15-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by HokkaHokka
Thanks for the reply. It's around 7 years old. Is it likely to be costly to repair? Thanks
i have the exact same issue with mine (2015) did you get this resolved? if so how? its annoying me!!!

Old 08-13-2021, 06:25 AM
Banned
Lightbulb Folding mirror- Solved

I had the same problem one week ago. Check this video it might help you.
The problem is with a plastic gear inside the auto fold mechanism. It has probably been broken, you should consider change it or try to fix it. The noise is because of the electronics. The way it works is the following: When the mirror is folded entirely, the motor is stressed and more electric current is passing through. The electronic read that and stop the motor. The next time the motor starts in the opposite direction to unfold the mirror until it unfolds entirely so it will stop again. When the gear breaks there is no resistance so the electronics can not understand if the mirror has ben folded entirely yet, that's why it keeps running. You can disconnect the cable until you fix it to protect the motor and stop the noise.

Last edited by user 72308230; 01-04-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:26 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by nikolas126
I had the same problem one week ago. Check this video it might help you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meOx6q6ErQE
The problem is with a plastic gear inside the auto fold mechanism. It has probably been broken, you should consider change it or try to fix it. The noise is because of the electronics. The way it works is the following: When the mirror is folded entirely, the motor is stressed and more electric current is passing through. The electronic read that and stop the motor. The next time the motor starts in the opposite direction to unfold the mirror until it unfolds entirely so it will stop again. When the gear brakes there is no resistance so the electronics can not understand if the mirror has ben folded entirely yet, that's why it keeps running. You can disconnect the cable until you fix it to protect the motor and stop the noise.

Same issue here - for now I have disconnected my N/S wing mirror. So the question I have is where did you get the new replacement 'metal' gear which replaces the plastic one? I see you in Greece and I am in UK - what would I need to search for? TIA

Old 04-26-2022, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbloomers
Same issue here - for now I have disconnected my N/S wing mirror. So the question I have is where did you get the new replacement 'metal' gear which replaces the plastic one? I see you in Greece and I am in UK - what would I need to search for? TIA
I didn't bought a new part. My father fixed the old one. He used a washer and a copper wire. But you can search on eBay for new one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...martRedirect=y

Last edited by user 72308230; 04-26-2022 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:28 AM

I didn't bought a new part. My father fixed the old one. He used a washer and a copper wire. But you can search on eBay for new one.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:28 AM

Old 03-04-2024, 01:14 PM
Default How do you disconnect wing mirror

Originally Posted by bigbloomers
same issue here - for now i have disconnected my n/s wing mirror. So the question i have is where did you get the new replacement 'metal' gear which replaces the plastic one? I see you in greece and i am in uk - what would i need to search for? Tia

hi, how did you disconnect the n/s wing mirror? Have same issue and to turn it off would be great