Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Rear seat belt fault?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 04:47 AM
Default Rear seat belt fault?

The nearside rear seat belt on my wife's M2 is not winding back, just leaving the belt all over the seat.
is this an easy fix?
Any advice gratefully received thanks.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:11 PM

You can pull it out until it stops...then wipe both side with a damp cloth. Look at the recoil parts and see if there is accumulated debris. If so careful wipe them out. You can use a vacuum with attachment if there is dust to collect before wiping. DO NOT USE anything except a damp cloth. Then work the belt fully out and recoiled a few times. You may need to repeat the wiping. If this does not help, then likely your will need to replace the unit.
If you choose to purchase a used unit, make sure you can see the date of the belt clearly and try to find the newest date possible for your application. Naturally test function before installing. Use a torque wrench and torque all fastener to exactly as per the Factory Service Manual.

Old 12-25-2021, 04:10 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I found this on youtube....

I'll try just wiping with a wet cloth, as you advised first though.

Old 12-25-2021, 05:50 PM

This is a common fault with the Mazda 2 it is well documented on this site the fix is a new one contact a Mazda dealer for inspection if they cooperate they will send a report to Mazda who may offer a 50% reduction for a replacement. You cannot fit a universal belt to this car.

search this site for more info.

Last edited by Fastbysuzuki; 12-25-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:12 AM

Interesting If cleaning the belt doesn't work, I'll go to the dealer.
Many thanks.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fastbysuzuki
This is a common fault with the Mazda 2 it is well documented

search this site for more info.
Common problems would have at least TSB, safety recall or a report filed with the NTSB, maybe even the NHTSA? I have not looked but as you seem to be informed do you have any to post?

As far as I am aware there is NO UNIVERSAL retracting seat belt available aftermarket for direct OEM replacement? Not sure why or how that came up? lol

The replacement of the belt is a one-by-one request to MAZDA. Most of those are rejected for older vehicle's and those that have more than the original owner and not on a safety recall. So sure, you can and should always try but don't get your feelings hurt if MAZDA rejects the request.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________
The video, submerging a safety belt in completely water is the worst thing you can do. The material was NEVER intended for that kind of cleaning procedure and could harm the integrity of the belt.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:01 PM

I was simply trying to help the guy the information on this subject was supplied by a Mazda mechanic who kindly frequents this site.
As i said to the guy search this site for info perhaps you should as well.
as far as i am concerned the subject is closed.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:19 PM

I was simply trying to help the guy the information on this subject was supplied by a Mazda mechanic who kindly frequents this site.
As i said to the guy search this site for info perhaps you should as well.
Have you personally had and corrected a sticking retractable seat belt?

The (certified) trained and experiencedexperienced MAZDA mechanic and also this forum #1 moderator is grimreaper. I am ASE certified and most things he and I agree on. I may be a bit more by the book and also rely on empirical fact and practical hands-on experience when I post on forums.
So, while I did not think it necessary to end any of my responses in this thread with my ASE for you I will.

ASE

Old 12-26-2021, 05:54 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Callisto
Have you personally had and corrected a sticking retractable seat belt?

The (certified) trained and experiencedexperienced MAZDA mechanic and also this forum #1 moderator is grimreaper. I am ASE certified and most things he and I agree on. I may be a bit more by the book and also rely on empirical fact and practical hands-on experience when I post on forums.
So, while I did not think it necessary to end any of my responses in this thread with my ASE for you I will.

ASE
QUOTE=Callisto;200495]Have you personally had and corrected a sticking retractable seat belt?

no I have not how ever I can spell ***

Old 12-26-2021, 07:27 PM

Answering my question if you had ever personally done a cleaning of a retractable seatbelt>
no I have not how ever I can spell ***
I see that you were not done with the thread after all. ROLMAO
So basically, you really have never done the procedure and only looked on the www for what to post on a forum(?) and were I have, and many times done the procedure I am called a derogatory name for giving recommendation and question the soundness of your posting? LOL who is really the A** on this thread?
There are safe ways to do things and there are countless internet DIY showing things that are not really correct or safe that so many may believe if they are on the internet somewhere they must be correct. The video posted previously is an example of what NOT to do. Seat belt are not like washing dirty laundry.

Quick Reply: Rear seat belt fault?