Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Wiper Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2023 | 06:48 PM
|
Default Wiper Issue

Hello,
I am just after some advice if anyone has any, our mazda 2 (recently purchased 2nd hand) has a front wiper issue in that when you flick the control arm they only move up slightly, and you have to keep flicking up and down about 20 times as it gradually moves up and then it will go all of the way up and back down.

All of the information I have found out there is in relation to wipers failing completely, so I am having problems determining what could be the cause of this one.

Any help would be appreciated

Old 11-01-2023 | 11:09 AM

Year of Mazda?
Miles would also be useful.

Old 11-01-2023 | 11:10 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 11-01-2023 | 08:58 PM
|

Originally Posted by Callisto
Year of Mazda?
Miles would also be useful.
Thank you, and apologies, it is a 2014 Mazda 2 Neo
Approx 110,000 km's

Last edited by DMozz; 11-01-2023 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2023 | 10:52 AM

Open hood and remove the wiper arm securing nut cover carefully then remove the wiper arm securing nut to remove the complete wiper arm. Do this on both sides' driver and passenger. Examine the splines both on the wiper arm and the wiper arm transmission assembly. While "BOTH complete wipers are removed from the wiper transmission test run the wiper motor and watch the movements. Reinstall the wiper arms and make sure to position correctly. Clean the windshield and also clean the wiper blades with a clean cloth and some isopropyl alcohol. Then spray the windshield with some clean water and actuate the wiper on slow. If that still do not function correctly you need a new wiper motor. If the catch and you are sure that the spines were not damage with your inspection, then somehow you have damaged the wiper transmission and that will need to be replaced.

Old 11-27-2023 | 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by DMozz
Hello,
I am just after some advice if anyone has any, our mazda 2 (recently purchased 2nd hand) has a front wiper issue in that when you flick the control arm they only move up slightly, and you have to keep flicking up and down about 20 times as it gradually moves up and then it will go all of the way up and back down.

All of the information I have found out there is in relation to wipers failing completely, so I am having problems determining what could be the cause of this one.

Any help would be appreciated
Hi there, I was wondering if you had any joy sorting this issue. I have the same problem. I can see how people would send you towards the mechanical side but the issue appears to be with the electrics. The wiper switch talks to the stop/start module which in turn talks to the body control unit. It switches one of two relays on to give intermittent or low speed. The other relay is used for high speed. The problem is that when you switch from off to low, a small shot of power is sent to the relay which makes them jump about 1/4 inch. Until they are about 1/3 of the way up, then they complete their cycle. It may have something to do with the park circuit in the motor?

Old 11-27-2023 | 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Greenbeelegs
Hi there, I was wondering if you had any joy sorting this issue. I have the same problem.
Welcome to the forum.

The recommendation in the previous responses are first steps for a DIY! Normally you read the question and problem and make a judgment somewhat the experience level of the member of what they may be capable to service themselves without cause to add more problems and most certainly posting the incorrect way to do a service?
Service steps in problem solving on any OBDII controlled vehicle with ECU, TCM, PCM and or a BCM electrical testing should most always refer and use service steps set by the OEM in their Service advisory or service method for problem shooting or recommended steps for servicing or use an independent paid service like AllData as the service procedures. We use AllData in the shop.

btw I am not just "people". lol

ASE

Old 02-22-2024 | 10:42 PM
|

Hello,I tried what was suggested and it did not work, so purchased a new motor..apparently that was not the problem they have said it is something to do with the "relay", so I am really not sure where to go from here or where to even source this part?

Old 02-22-2024 | 10:43 PM
|

Originally Posted by Greenbeelegs
Hi there, I was wondering if you had any joy sorting this issue. I have the same problem. I can see how people would send you towards the mechanical side but the issue appears to be with the electrics. The wiper switch talks to the stop/start module which in turn talks to the body control unit. It switches one of two relays on to give intermittent or low speed. The other relay is used for high speed. The problem is that when you switch from off to low, a small shot of power is sent to the relay which makes them jump about 1/4 inch. Until they are about 1/3 of the way up, then they complete their cycle. It may have something to do with the park circuit in the motor?
Hello,I tried what was suggested and it did not work, so purchased a new motor..apparently that was not the problem they have said it is something to do with the "relay", so I am really not sure where to go from here or where to even source this part?

Old 02-23-2024 | 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Wipers are controlled by the BCM ( Body Control Module )

Unless you have access to a scan tool with live data from the BCM I would be booking it in with Mazda.

Quick Reply: Wiper Issue