Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

04 Mazda 3 starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 04:58 PM
Default 04 Mazda 3 starts then dies

I have a 2004 Mazda 3 (not a speed) with the 2.3.
I've had somewhat of the same issue before but it's way worse.
So bit of background on the car it was in a front end collision before I bought it, I fixed it up and got it running like it should. I put a cold air intake on the car so I wouldn't have to buy a new OEM intake and this is where the problem starts.
After the cai install I noticed the car didn't like it at all it would start idle rough then die but after a couple minutes it was fine with it. Couple days after this it started bogging when I press the gas and sometimes even stall.
the car had a CEL for running too lean so I took it as it needs tuned for the new intake. Now as of almost a month ago the engine blew and I have replaced it with a brand new motor from factory and this problem is even worse.
​​​​​​the car starts idles very very rough then dies but will idle perfectly fine without the MAF plugged in.
the car has no CEL as of right now.
I've replaced the MAF twice.
Replaced vacuum hoses.
Replaced crank shaft position sensor.
Has brand new sparkplugs.
I Sealed the intake between the head and the intake with sealer and new intake seals.
checked the intake runner solenoids they work.
I have a cam shaft position sensor coming.
I even went as far as to put the stock intake back on and it still does the same starts idles horribly then dies.
the only way to keep the car running is to unplug the MAF, restrict airflow, or keep my foot on the gas but if I keep my foot on it too long it'll bog and die.
​​​​​​I'm in desperate need for help as it is my daily.