Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

04 Mazda3 S high miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
I read the maintenance--Changing plugs, oil and brakes is not enough.---no cooling system maintenance, no transmission maintenance. Catalytics may last another bit provided you change all plugs and ign coils now!
You will also need another battery soon.
How do you know the battery needs replacing? Have you run the current battery through a test?

I'm still astonished that you would suggest replacing catalytic converters. That's beyond insane and stupid. You replace them when they become defunct, which is almost never. Something is not right if factory cats can't last the life of the car.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM

If it's a standard the tranny should be OK, change the fluid. Automatic---don't buy it.
How's the clutch. Don't see it has been changed yet!
That's another thing: the clutch

A clutch that needs replacing at 120k miles is a piece of shiit clutch.

Again, I have 120k miles and my clutch is as strong as it was the day I bought the car. For what reason would I replace it?

Last edited by MazdaTirol; 01-24-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Removed Foul Language
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Banned
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by knucklehead11
Who in the living hell replaced catalytic converters like its regular maintenance?

Oh right... nobody.

I have a 2008 Mazda3i manual with 120k miles. Regular oil changes with 0w20 synthetic about every 8k miles. I have not replaced any trans fluid, have not replaced any coils or spark plugs, PCV valve, coolant thermostat, flushed my coolant (getting ready to, I agree its a bit late, but not TWICE by this mileage already. That's overkill) or cleaned my throttle body (thought I'm sure I should really actually do that)...

...and my car runs FVCKIN' GREAT.

Zeliwin doesn't NEED to do HALF that shiit.
You are a Knucklehead. You are either very lucky or very stupid, i think both. You don't believe in any preventative maintenance or regular maintenance either as you have missed a lot yourself. Do you know anything about cars? Once in a while people get lucky and drive the right amount of distance to work for best results of car. Just because your lucky doesn't mean everyone else is. You are in the minority, most people have city mileage, hardly any highway miles and most drive short distances. I actually have replaced 1 of catalytics twice and i have 60,000 km. Do you know how the person drove it? You obviously must drive like a grandma. Can you gaurantee that those things won't be an issue? Why would it be for sale if it runs great. Why is he selling.

Not changing the PCV valve is asking for problems. A faulty PCV valve will clog your cat. For the price of a PCV change the F'n thing. It's cheap insurance. Haven't heard of anybody getting more than 140,000 out of their cats and the car i was commenting on has 121,000. The odds are in my favor that the cats won't last. Mazda ign coils are not that good. Check your Mazda service schedule for coolant. Long life coolant every 5 years i beleive anything else every 2-3 years. I hope your car has major problems soon. You are in a dream world and very F'n Lucky.

You obviously drive a longer distance which is actually better for the car but the car in question is twice as old with same mileage. When people drive 20-30 minutes on the highway to work every day there is a hell of a lot less wear and tear on the vehicle than if it was all city. This is especially true with the clutch!
Most people with Mazda's have had battery issues.

According to your home web page: http://www.officialmistersleazy.com
It is Mister Sleazy? Really? It also doesn't exist. And we should take advice from you!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 01-24-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by knucklehead11
Who in the living hell replaced catalytic converters like its regular maintenance?

Oh right... nobody.

I have a 2008 Mazda3i manual with 120k miles. Regular oil changes with 0w20 synthetic about every 8k miles. I have not replaced any trans fluid, have not replaced any coils or spark plugs, PCV valve, coolant thermostat, flushed my coolant (getting ready to, I agree its a bit late, but not TWICE by this mileage already. That's overkill) or cleaned my throttle body (thought I'm sure I should really actually do that)...

...and my car runs FVCKIN' GREAT.

Zeliwin doesn't NEED to do HALF that shiit.
From my experience on this site Mazda cats are horrible, they plug up and die quite often and are a "normal" replacement item it seems. Also the same can be said for Mazda PCV valves and IAC motor/modules. On my 3 I have almost 30k miles on it and it WILL need a new clutch by 50k, this one chatters like hell when its damp outside, if you dont live near mountains then a clutch will last a long time, if you dont do city driving a clutch will last a long time, if you live where I live and do the job I do a clutch will NOT live till 50k.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 AM

Well guys,
I brought the car! So far i love it. Runs great, clutch is strong. Now i just need to get it detailed and we be good to go. 1st gear is a bit tricky, anyone else.experience this in a mazda3 s?

Also, i want to get all the fade and scrathes and rock chips out of the ca, is detailing enough for this? Or should go with auto painting shop?

New mazda3 s proud owner!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:18 AM

Taking Use your noggins advice, i am flushing and changing all my fluids, changing coils/sparks and.pcv valve. lucky for me i drive 36 highwayiles to work. So yay for less wear and tear!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 AM

What is 1st gear doing (or NOT doing)?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 AM

Pretty sure its just me im new to manual.

Basically just almost impossible for me to do the gas/clutch combo. I have to.do a.no gas.start because when i add gas at the friection point, it doesnt seem to want to go but still moved forward asif its a no gas start. When i releasethe clutch more even thr smallest bit of gas.makes it jerky.Think its just me being new.to.manual and will come in time. Just takes.me.and.extra 2/3 seconds to get going at a red light.

Sorry for typos, on my cell.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 PM

I learned to drive in Houston... in other words: the opposite of driving like a grandma. I speed on the highways and, though I don't beat the living hell out of my car, I'm not exactly the most gentle driver either. I'm sorry to hear one of your cats failed so soon. I would be pissed at that mileage because that is not acceptable quality under any circumstance.

If all these issues I'm not having should be more common then I guess I must be lucky. Like in my other post, I did admit a couple of maintenance items that have been neglected and I am aware of, so I don't defend those decisions at all.

And as far as that lame website lol it's old and, like you said, defunct. There has been a long break between when I posted that info and now and forgot it was there lol. It's for a crappy band I used to be in.

You are a Knucklehead. You are either very lucky or very stupid, i think both. You don't believe in any preventative maintenance or regular maintenance either as you have missed a lot yourself. Do you know anything about cars? Once in a while people get lucky and drive the right amount of distance to work for best results of car. Just because your lucky doesn't mean everyone else is. You are in the minority, most people have city mileage, hardly any highway miles and most drive short distances. I actually have replaced 1 of catalytics twice and i have 60,000 km. Do you know how the person drove it? You obviously must drive like a grandma. Can you gaurantee that those things won't be an issue? Why would it be for sale if it runs great. Why is he selling.

Not changing the PCV valve is asking for problems. A faulty PCV valve will clog your cat. For the price of a PCV change the F'n thing. It's cheap insurance. Haven't heard of anybody getting more than 140,000 out of their cats and the car i was commenting on has 121,000. The odds are in my favor that the cats won't last. Mazda ign coils are not that good. Check your Mazda service schedule for coolant. Long life coolant every 5 years i beleive anything else every 2-3 years. I hope your car has major problems soon. You are in a dream world and very F'n Lucky.

You obviously drive a longer distance which is actually better for the car but the car in question is twice as old with same mileage. When people drive 20-30 minutes on the highway to work every day there is a hell of a lot less wear and tear on the vehicle than if it was all city. This is especially true with the clutch!
Most people with Mazda's have had battery issues.

According to your home web page: http://www.officialmistersleazy.com
It is Mister Sleazy? Really? It also doesn't exist. And we should take advice from you!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM

MazdaTirol:

I do a combination of city and highway driving. I live in the Texas hill country so where I live isn't mountainous but certainly not flat. There aren't many steep inclines but a few do exist, including at an intersection I go through on my way home from work most days. Yes a lot of those miles are highway miles because of a job I used to have. As a matter of fact because of those highway miles I still have factory brake pads (they are not fully worn and even the service writer at Mazda was like, "you really have NEVER had brake work done and there's still that much pad left?" Maybe I also don't brake that hard sometimes but I don't know. I don't really pay attention. So yeah I can attribute a lot of those factors to the longevity of my clutch but I still find it astonishing that the clutch will need replacing by 50k. What do you do anyway?

Quick Reply: 04 Mazda3 S high miles