Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

05 Mazda3 CD Player problem. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Default 05 Mazda3 CD Player problem. Help!

I have been having this weird problem with my stereo and it's driving me insane. The problem is some times when playing CDs the music will only come out of the speakers on the right and not on the left. This happens every once in a while and sometimes lasts a long time. It happens with original CDs and with CDR. However, if I switch to radio it goes back to normal. Weird Huh. I took it to the dealer 1000 miles before my warranty ran out and they replaced it with a new radio only to have the same thing happen 2 days later. I went back for a 2nd time and they removed theradio and sent it back to the factory. I got anotherradio back 2 days ago after waiting around with no stereo for 3 weeks. Of course, I still have the same issues. Now I'm supposed to go back there on wednesday so that they can test it again. Any ideas? I don't think it would have anything to do with the wiring because it only happens with the CD and not the radio. I would appreciate any thoughts...

Old 11-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 05 Mazda3 CD Player problem. Help!

Hmmm. That IS a weird problem. And a frustrating one for you and your dealer too, I'm sure.
My only suggestion is that there may be a weak connection in the harness to the speakers, and the lower output of the CD player isn't enough to over power it.
On the other hand, these are modular units that have interconnecting sub-units to form the whole. Perhaps the problem is in that harness or connector... between the head unit and the CD player, especially if they are only replaced PART (i.e. the CD player itself) of the entire stereo?

"Mr. Spots!" Calling Mr. Spots!! (He's our resident stereo/electrical expert) Got any other ideas?

Old 11-10-2007, 04:17 PM

could it not be the ALC. if yours has it. sometimes mine will do that where it gets really low. and i turned it off and i have had no problems ever since.. or it could be some wiring from the cd player to your speakers.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to jump on the "check the harnesses" bandwagon. The '05 should also have a harness on the driver's side connecting two of the components together. I can't think of anything that would cause it only to be the CD player.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 PM

I appreciate your responses. I think I'm going to check all your suggestions tomorrow before taking it to the dealer on Wednesday. I'm affraid they'll just send the radio off to the factory again and have me waiting for several weeks with no radio... I'll let you guys know if I make any progress.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM

"could it not be the ALC. if yours has it. sometimes mine will do that where it gets really low. and i turned it off and i have had no problems ever since.. or it could be some wiring from the cd player to your speakers. "

Hi Jaimie,

What is the ALC and where is it located?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

"Automatic Level Control"is part of the stereo. Adjusts the sound level up depending on your speed. You can adjust it to compensate for windows up/windows down, or just your personal preference, or shut it off completely. Check your manual for details.
From what I've read here I really don't think that'sthe problem though.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Oh, ok. I know what you mean now. I've already tried to mess with that. I did not make a difference. I'll try to check the connector that you told me about. Thanks

Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM

well i turned it off cuz it started to **** me off lol

Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

I have mine set to 1 and it's perfect... though I rarely even use the stereo.

This thread is certainly a curiosity. I don't recall reading about any 3 with such an unusual problem.
Yes, please let us know what the problem turns out to be. I'm sure it's not an insurmountable one and will eventually be solved.

Quick Reply: 05 Mazda3 CD Player problem. Help!