Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

To '06 or to '07, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Default RE: To '06 or to '07, that is the question

ORIGINAL: TMR Net Shark
Go ahead and shake your hear, I'll be saving my 6 mpg :-P
My 2cents is Draconius is correct, no way does the MPG fall by 6 when turning the AC on. In the city, it might hurt you by 1-2 MPG. On the highway, having AC on, versus windows down and having much increased drag, it'd be pretty close to a wash. Also, ifyou have a woman in your life (or aspirations to have one), I think you'll find the fairersex is not excited about what a 65 MPH breeze does to hair and makeup.

ORIGINAL: jcasetnl
It's funny, the more I read about the mazda3, the more neon-like it sounds. Don't anybody get offended by that statement, the neon wasa very fun to drive car for the money.
The Mazda3 will not give you an Oldsmobile or Lexustype of ride, I agree, but its light years better than the Neon ever was. The Neon was an unreliable piece of %&$#, much different than what the automotive reviewers of the world have found re the Mazda3. I'm not offended, just calling it as I see it.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 AM

What I was reffering to is the general approach of a "fun to drive" low-buck car.

Though, the hatchback version of the 3 does start to get into mid-card territory.

Yeah, the neon had relability issues, though a verybig part of it was the infamous headgasket on the 1st generation vehicles. Such a stupid move on chrysler's part to let a vehicle out the door like that.

Later vehicles had minor maintenance issues, but the drivetrain was pretty solid in the 2nd gen. Still, they never quite got passed thereputation they earned for themselves with the headgasket. I think that's ultimately why they killed the line.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:06 PM

It's funny, the more I read about the mazda3, the more neon-like it sounds. Don't anybody get offended by that statement, the neon wasa very fun to drive car for the money. A set of H-rated tires made it a total blast. It was about as zippy as the mazda 3, too, since it had a lower curb weight. But I digress.
This is probably why the woman wants one of these, she currently drives a neon.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 PM

Though, the hatchback version of the 3 does start to get into mid-card territory.
I agree withyour point,to pay north of $18K (pre tax), for a 3, is not territory into which I would go.Its asleek, coolcompact that hauls butt with great handling, some nifty features, I acknowledge, but still its a compact. Of course, I am more utilitarian about cars than many.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA
My 2cents is Draconius is correct, no way does the MPG fall by 6 when turning the AC on. In the city, it might hurt you by 1-2 MPG. On the highway, having AC on, versus windows down and having much increased drag, it'd be pretty close to a wash. Also, ifyou have a woman in your life (or aspirations to have one), I think you'll find the fairersex is not excited about what a 65 MPH breeze does to hair and makeup.
I usually lose 3-4 mpg (+/-27 > +/-24)running A/C full time and in mixed driving.

I have to agree about the typical vanity of the fairer sex though. That's funny, but so true.
I made mention of possibly restoring an old MGA to my wife (reliving old memeories) and that was her first complaint...
"That's a convertible, isn't it?"
I said, "Damn straight it is, Woman!!"
They just don't get it.