Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

08 2.3 (2) intermittent problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Default 08 2.3 (2) intermittent problems

This might just be 2 problems with one cause,...I hope.

I'm working on my nephews 08 2.3 (97K miles)that has 2 problems. one I believe is covered in A TSB in the TSB thread post #29

STARTER MOTOR WILL NOT CRANK AND ENGINE DOES NOT START (INTERMITTENTLY)

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004 - 2008 Mazda3 vehicles (NOT including Mazdaspeed3)

On some vehicles, the starter motor will not crank and the engine does not start. The problem is intermittent. This is caused by poor contact of the connector for the magnet switch terminal "S" in the starter motor.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure where the connector for the magnet switch terminal "S" is replaced with a short cord set.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
His is so bad it either starts and runs great or you can't even get the headlights to come on.

1 The main wire running to the starter, Nothing special right? the end at the battery has a large black plastic/rubber cover over the connector, I just want to make sure it not some special Fuseable connector.

The second intermittent issue is that some times when driving it, the Engine just seems to "Shut down" to idle power and Smokes like a train.
I can't say what kind of "Smoke" it is Fuel,oil or coolant as I haven't even seen this one. The smoke is so bad one good mechanic who was looking at the car said it needed another engine. He said $1600 would fix the car.
I was call after a 2nd mechanic(says for $85, I'll tell you EXACTLY whats wrong with it) says I can't find anything wrong with it, No charge at all.

I'm thinking this one might related to the battery cable "disconnecting" its self while one is driving it. I can't drive it farther than his driveway since it has no plates or insurance.
I see the car has the throttle by wire except the throttle looks to be more complex than a simple Throttle blade and stepper motor to open it.

I was thinking the battery cable connection "goes bad" (completely) while driving it and maybe the alt just can't keep up the sudden demand??

Last edited by Reed's uncle; 04-18-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Reed's uncle
This might just be 2 problems with one cause,...I hope.

I'm working on my nephews 08 2.3 (97K miles)that has 2 problems. one I believe is covered in A TSB in the TSB thread post #29

His is so bad it either starts and runs great or you can't even get the headlights to come on.

1 The main wire running to the starter, Nothing special right? the end at the battery has a large black plastic/rubber cover over the connector, I just want to make sure it not some special Fuseable connector.

The second intermittent issue is that some times when driving it, the Engine just seems to "Shut down" to idle power and Smokes like a train.
I can't say what kind of "Smoke" it is Fuel,oil or coolant as I haven't even seen this one. The smoke is so bad one good mechanic who was looking at the car said it needed another engine. He said $1600 would fix the car.
I was call after a 2nd mechanic(says for $85, I'll tell you EXACTLY whats wrong with it) says I can't find anything wrong with it, No charge at all.

I'm thinking this one might related to the battery cable "disconnecting" its self while one is driving it. I can't drive it farther than his driveway since it has no plates or insurance.
I see the car has the throttle by wire except the throttle looks to be more complex than a simple Throttle blade and stepper motor to open it.

I was thinking the battery cable connection "goes bad" (completely) while driving it and maybe the alt just can't keep up the sudden demand??
That mechanic would only be hooking up the computer and looking for a cel, then he would still have to do testing to narrow it down!

I would definitely look at this wire and all grounds. Check ground at starter, at the body of the car as well. It may be wise to add a ground to the engine block going to negative terminal of battery.

Otherwise who knows.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
That mechanic would only be hooking up the computer and looking for a cel, then he would still have to do testing to narrow it down!

I would definitely look at this wire and all grounds. Check ground at starter, at the body of the car as well. It may be wise to add a ground to the engine block going to negative terminal of battery.

Otherwise who knows.
Mech #2 didn't have any thing to go by. No CEL on at all. That what makes me think the Bat cable just looses all conductivity.

Reed was disconnecting the batt often(no idea why) till I got involved. He is 16 and He is not mechanically inclined.

I should have mentioned with this car have all these different computers for Everything It got a new Battery installed in the car except its a group 26 battery Which is about 2/3 rds the size of the OEM battery.
Are these car sensitive to smaller batterys?

Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Clearly out of warranty, and with no safety recall, I agree with Noggin. However if that doesn't solve the issue, or if you just want to be sure, try getting a new starter solenoid, re: "the magnet switch."
If there is a TSB, then they know there was an issue with the vendor/suppliers parts at that time.