Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

08 Mazda 3 Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Default 08 Mazda 3 Stereo

Has anyone else had issues with the bass cutting in and out above level 35? I've been going around and around with the mazda dealer on this issue and I'm just curious if others have had or have this issue. The bass seems to randomly cut out and come back on when driving it around and you can usually get it to go back to normal by adjusting the volume up or down. It's quite annoying driving around with windows down and one minute you can hear the stereo the next you cant. They basically told me that it was a feature to save the speakers from blowing. Yes my ALC is turned off...it does it with it on or off. Maybe the alc is malfunctioning on mine. I have noticed it seems to do it when shifting or braking or hitting bumps so I thought maybe there was a short with the factory amp or something originally.

The service dept first told me there was a TSB on it and that they'd replace the unit. They never did call me back. Then after I sent in my new car purchase survey bitching about their service dept I got a call and they said that all the cars do that and a new stereo wouldn't fix the issue and that they're supposed to do that to prevent speakers from blowing. Ok, it's one thing if the bass cuts out and stays out. But when it cuts back on randomly how is that saving the speaker from blowing, if anything that'll cause them to blow.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Default RE: 08 Mazda 3 Stereo

Hey they are BSing you. I just bought a 2008.5 w/o the bose and i had the same issue. This is the TSB that explains the issue and how the dealer is supposed replace the entire radio under warranty.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...14-08-1945.pdf

Print it out and shove it in there face. My dealer was real good about it and gave me no problems.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Why are you playing the stereo that LOUD???

Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 PM

thanks for the pdf doc. I'll def contact them once again about this issue. It'll be the 4th time...5th if you include the customer complaint survey.

I don't think 40 is an unreasable level. I'm pretty hard of hearing and with the windows down it's tough to hear the stereo.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 AM

Wow, I don't think I've ever had mine over 17. Besides the volume in my ears, I'm worried of trashing the speakers and stock HU with anything over probably 20.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:10 PM

It's a different stereo. The new unit in the 08.5's has a different max volume. I think it's 60...or maybe it was 50, I can't remember. I hit it the other day. The old units max volume was around 20.

In general, yes, it's a bad idea to max out the volume on your stero. It will cause clipping which will damage your speakers.

RotorBalls, I just got my speed 3 a week and a half ago and I noticed this as I drove off the lot. After checking the web I called my dealers service department and they are going to take care of it. I'm sure your dealer will take care of you.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 AM

Yeah it maxes out around 62...and after I gave the service deptartment the TSB number they called me back and kissed my *** stating they didn't know of that tsb and basically said they learned something new. So I guess they'll be fixing the issue once I bring the car in again

Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Default Help..

I bought a used 08 that has this stereo issue.

The extra warranty I purchased does not cover this repair.

So I need to purchase a replacement. What model years are the same? I can see from looking around online that the 05-07 models 'look' the same, but is that sufficient enough?

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by foxyfuzz
I bought a used 08 that has this stereo issue.

The extra warranty I purchased does not cover this repair.

So I need to purchase a replacement. What model years are the same? I can see from looking around online that the 05-07 models 'look' the same, but is that sufficient enough?

Thanks!
It depends on your build date. There was a mid-year refresh in '08 and they made some minor changes to the HU at that time. I've heard from some people that the changed HU works in older models and that older ones work in the refresh but I'm not positive on that.

Barring that if you have a pre-1/1/08 build then you can use any '06-'08 model HU. If you get a '06-'07 then you can unlock the DIS (driver info. system). If you get a '08 one then you can only unlock the DIS on the 6CD. If you have a post 1/1/08 build then you'd need to get a '08.5-'09 HU (again assuming that they're not cross-compatible).