Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

1st car, don't know much

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 AM

ya that will get you banned here (jk but i would), and a one way ticket to the "ricer" thread found on many forums (not jk)

Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 PM

Hey, Just purchased a 2007 Mazda 3 Hatch. You mentioned doing suspension upgrades could you be a little more specific i was thinking about putting the lowering springs on showed in the link provided. I was just wondering if it is a good fit for the car in means of will look good? i just havent seen many lowered mazda 3's so is it a good idea?
Thankyou in advanced for any input you have.

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/tein...00-p-2535.html

I just bought a new mazda 3 hatch 07'. i want to do some things to it to to make it that much better. The first few things i wanted to do with it were a cold air intake and lowering shocks for the car. Both to me sound like a good idea.
I want to know which you guys believe is better to do first? Or if i should do the mods.

Last edited by virgin1; 10-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 AM

cold air intake = more noise w/o a tune, also a potential for pulling the wiring harness to the maf out after a few years.

I have those springs, you need shocks and struts to go with lowering springs cuz your stockers will give out quick, btw those give an unequal drop height, look on tein site and see for yourself

Last edited by Tracker; 10-28-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Default Lower Springs

What do you mean without tune? I do want it to make it have that deep sounds when i punch the gas, its why im getting it.
Also for the lowering springs, i know it is an unequal drop it would look awesome but are there any springs that i can get that dont require me to get new struts and other components?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

To answer your second question first: Yes if you go with a lesser drop. 0.9"- 1.3". Common springs for DD use in no particular order would be: Progress(1.1" IIRC); EiBach Pro-kit (1.2"); Mazdaspeed (+/-1"); Racing Beat (same as the MS); Tein H-Tech's (0.9"-1"); H&R (1.2"R/1.3"F), which I have and can tell you, they ride a little hard over bumps and dips.

First question: A CAI will not give you that "deep sound." Only changing the exhaust will do that. A CAI will only give you a slight sucking sound when under hard acceleration and a little more power in the 4,500- 6,000 rpm range... I don't know about you, but I don't usually reach those rpms in normal driving. After trying them for myself, the only reason I don't go back to the OE box is easier access to things and a cleaner looking engine compartment. I can document no other real advantage to the thing.

Having the car professionally "tuned" might bring a bit more, but is hardly worth the $$$ you would spend having it done.

As Tracker stated, be sure when its installed that there is no "pull" on the wiring harness to the MAF sensor or you will not be a happy camper in the end. If you have released the harness from its plastic tether on the battery box and its still not long enough to reach properly, take it off, send it back and stick w/the OE box.
And please tell me you didn't buy a cheap, eBay exclusive??

Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Default RE: CAI, Springs

I just got home from work and after talking to a buddy of mine about lowering the car with the springs i decided not to. First, because he said even if the struts are good now they will wear a lot faster and other problems can occur because of doing so, and leading on to more expensive repairs and costs to to maintain drive-ability. Is that so? I do want to make the car look very nice but i don't want to put money in that i don't have to if that means not lowering my car i'm OK with that.

Second the "deep sound" i understand i only get that consistently with an exhaust, i do want it for when i do step on the gas hard. I wasn't expecting much HP gain, the car is quick enough to enjoy at the moment. And easier access would definitely be nicer to have under the hood. Can you recommend whether Fujita, K&N, or Injen is a better choice in terms of look and "deep sound"? Also one that wont pull MAF wire harness out. Which do you own?

Also i wouldn't bother to get in professionally tuned i'm not into that, just want to drive a attractive, fun to drive quick car. Which i believe i have, but one i believe i can make more appealing.

EDIT: No, I havent bought anything and it wont be from ebay. Although my friends bought and exhaust for his 04' Rx-8 on ebay it was nice.

Last edited by MazN00B3; 10-28-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Default Pricing

Lastly, If i were to buy a CAI where can i find the absolute best price?
Any other recommended upgrades that aren't too pricey?

Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with you. Make the car fun, personalize it, but don't make it unreliable, though I would like more power, it's just not that easy (or cheap) to do w/these cars.

I would shop around, but the CAI known for causing problems w/the wiring is the Fujita, though most that have them like them too(?).
The Injen is also very well liked, but, like the K&N can be pricey.
The AEM is essentially the same as the Mazdaspeed. I got mine from another forum member who got two and wanted to keep the Fujita. I got it fairly cheap for that reason.
But frankly all of the name brands are going to be $200+, even at their best.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Default Thankyou

Thankyou for all your help and insight, i am going with AEM Cold Air Intake System i found it online with a discount for 229 free shipping.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:50 PM

your friend is correct about the shocks wearing quicker, mine are holding up but if i had stock springs they would last longer, not so much of a drop height may stop the shocks from wearing as fast as a drop as low as 2in.

By tune i mean the hypertech tuner, pricey but not as expensive as a standalone but either way its not worth it, better off with a k&n drop in, cheaper, same gains, do it yourself

Quick Reply: 1st car, don't know much