Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

1st car, don't know much

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Default K&N Drop in

What exactly is a K&N Drop in ? sorry not to familiar with a lot of car accessories yet.

Last edited by MazN00B3; 10-29-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

It's a replacement filter element, just like the stock one only "oiled" gauze instead of paper.
You would not notice any differece at all using it, and they cost around $50 ea.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 AM

But, with the K&N they have a warranty for the life of the car, so in the long run it may be cheaper.

As far as the CAI, from what I've heard, I'll make a hissing sound with my mouth as I hit the gas and spend the $200-$300 on something worth it.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed.
If you don't mind the look of the "stock-box," your money would be better spent elsewhere. This coming from someone that has a CAI installed.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Also coming from someone who has a CAI installed an AEM one, you can save your money and just buy a drop in, what you feel is going to be the same as a 200 intake, i wish i could find my flow chart readings

Last edited by Tracker; 10-30-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07
But, with the K&N they have a warranty for the life of the car, so in the long run it may be cheaper.

As far as the CAI, from what I've heard, I'll make a hissing sound with my mouth as I hit the gas and spend the $200-$300 on something worth it.
Cheaper? Unless one plans on driving a quarter of a million miles in the car, it is unlikely to be cheaper than using OEM style filters, especially so due to the fact that the K&N doesn't filter any where near as well and may lead to extra engine maintenance and/or expensive repairs.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:58 PM

K&N filters flow better than oem, thats a fact, as for it causing problems that is untrue, again i wish i had all the readings from my power and performance class, it would show what works and whats doesnt, for anything all the cars that had a K&N intake or drop in our shop it flowed better than stock and at the least gave 1ftlbs of tq

Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Default Final Decision

Well even after reading all the talk and stuff. I am definitely going to buy a CAI for the looks and just because i want it. I think we all agree it does look pretty nice when you pop the hood

Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 AM

nah, i got tired of it quick, rather have a sri with a cf box, oh btw buy one of those universal "socks" that go over the filter that or get a shield, i believe Rich has one on his

Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tracker
K&N filters flow better than oem, thats a fact, as for it causing problems that is untrue, again i wish i had all the readings from my power and performance class, it would show what works and whats doesnt, for anything all the cars that had a K&N intake or drop in our shop it flowed better than stock and at the least gave 1ftlbs of tq
While a K&N might flow better, I seriously doubt it will make a measureable difference in power (and zero difference in fuel economy) when installed on virtually any modern engine. The flip side is the extra dirt K&N style filters allow through and the potential for extra maintenance of the induction system (or even the engine) itself after prolonged use. I'll stand by my statment; K&N filters will most likely never pay for themselves.

Quick Reply: 1st car, don't know much