Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2 year 30,000 mile maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Default 2 year 30,000 mile maintenance

According to the service manual it says we need to:

R Oil
R Oil Filter
I Cooling System
I fuel Lines and Hoses
I brake lines, hoses and connections
I Disc Brakes
I Steering Operation and Linkages
I Front and rear suspension, ball joints and wheel bearing axial play
I Driveshaft dust boots
L Locks and Hinges
T Bolts and nuts on chassis and body
R Cabin air filter

As far as the owners manual I have done the trans fluid change, air filter and the cabin air filter. The oil and tire rotation isn't due yet. How important or necessary are these inspections. Will it void my warranty if I don't get it performed? Should i get this done?

The owners manual is different from what the dealership says needs to be done. The dealership I have been using charges 379.95 for the 30,000 mile service.Their brochure states starting at 379.95 in other words expect to pay more . That is before taxes and before they hit you up for the engine flush and the injector service at the very least. I would expect to walk away about 700-800 dollars poorer at the minimum.
For 379.95 this is what they do. Right from their brochure for 30,000 mile service!
Change oil and filter. I know I need this every 4 months or 5,000 miles for severe maintenance schedule.

Complete chassis lubrication as specified by owner's guide. Do they really lube the chassis completely?

Replace air filter. I did mine already.
Rotate tires and inspect break wear. Every 5,000 miles
replace cabin air filter. I did mine already
replace brake fluid,flush reservoir,brakes lines,and bleed system. Is this really necessary at 2 years or 30,000 miles?

Transmission flush Did it already
inspect steering linkage and suspension Is this really necessary at 2 years or 30,000 miles?

top of windshield wiper fluid. I do this already
check for recalls I get notices in the mail and info from forums
wash and dry vehicle. I do this myself.

Is there any real value added to doing this with the dealership? I can't seem to find any.
Sorry for the long post I know next to nothing about cars and I am trying to avoid getting ripped off by the dealers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by crowheart; 04-11-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty much the only benefit to doing it at the dealer is better gas mileage....... because you're wallet is lighter therefore the car is moving less weight. As far as things which simply need to be inspected if you know what you're doing then there's no reason you can't inspect them yourself. As far as the warranty you can certainly do all the service yourself but you need to keep receipts to prove that you actually bought things. Also there's no reason you can't have any old garage do any service items for you vs. the dealer.

Note that many dealers will try to convince you that your vehicle meets the harsh/severe (can't remember how it's worded) maintenance category. My old one did because it got cold in the winter and hot in the summer..... duh.

For the brake flush, bleeding etc. that's absolutely not needed at 30k. When they say inspect the disc brakes they're referring to just checking the pads and discs for extreme or unusual wear. I wouldn't worry about the fluid (aside from checking levels) unless you're having brake issues which could point towards air in the system, etc.

Tranny flush/change I don't think is recommeneded until 60k, just FYI.