Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2006 Mazda 3 Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Default 2006 Mazda 3 Engine Noise

Hello everyone,
I don't know if I am being paranoid or what, but my engine seems to be a lot louder than when I first bought the car. It's not the acceleration, but just while cruising, I feel like I can hear the pistons - like the chug chug noise. Does that make sense? lol. Any thoughts?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:55 AM

Yup, it does. As your car ages, things shift around a bit. Two things related. The engine mounts settle and soften, and the clearance between the exhaust plumbing and chassis changes, bringing the exhaust line closer to the floor. The second thing is the hardware retaining the heat shields/ deflectors deteriorates and the shields start to shake rattle and roll. Don't do what some people have done and remove those shields though, or you'll heat up your cab, risk carbon monoxide poisoning if you develop an exhaust leak, or burn your car to a crisp if you park in tall grass while making out with that someone special !

Old 05-16-2009, 09:56 AM

What can I do then? I want my quiet car back! lol It's only 3 years old, I can believe it's aging already.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Well you start with an underbody inspection, get anything that's deteriorated seen to, see how it goes. Beyond that, it's interior carpeting and (something I discussed with my mechanic to quieten my '99 Protege, lining the centerline tunnel under the cabin with fiberglass wool). I'm hesitant about this last measure because it changes the heat gradient and provides a water retention medium, either or both might which might adversly affect the car).

Old 05-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Wouldn't my dealership inform me of any undercarriage deterioration if they saw any while doing either my state inspection or 30,000 mile tune up?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Not necessarily, if they considered it consistent with normal wear and tear for that make of car. It's an issue of either preventive maintenance or don't fix it if it ain't broke. In any case flex mounts can change dimensions considerably and still not be at risk of failure.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:31 PM

and this "flex mounts can change dimensions considerably" - can make the piston sounding noise that I'm hearing?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:34 PM

Any other thoughts on what this noise could be? I'm not 100% sure its the engine. It's the loudest when I'm on the interstate. It sounds like I can hear the pistons or some sort of repetitive movement.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:08 PM

at what speed is the noise that you hear, this is something that cannot be easily diagnosed w/o someone with you actually hearing it at the same time and conditions. The problem could be any number of things from bad bearings on any pullies, worn serpentine belt, worn motor mounts (mazda is infamous for this problem).

Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 PM

I notice it mostly on the interstate so I'm driving at least 55. Are any of these "bad bearings on any pullies, worn serpentine belt, worn motor mounts" something that the mechanics would catch while working on the car like doing an oil change or 30,000 mile work up?

Quick Reply: 2006 Mazda 3 Engine Noise