Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2012 Mazda 3 Rattle issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Angry 2012 Mazda 3 Rattle issue

I just got my 2012 Mazda 3 i Touring (R) on 01/28/2012. It currently has 500 miles on it. It DOES NOT have the skyactiv engine. It has the standard 2.0L 4cyl DOHC engine. It has a 5 speed auto trans.

The car runs great except for a rattle that seems to come frome somewhere in the center concsole/ dashboard area around the vents. This sound does not happen from start up, nor does it happen for the first few miles I'm driving it. About three to five miles down the road, it will start creeping in at a stop light or when I put it in park. Once it starts, it will continue intermittently throughout the remainder of my trip. If I shut the car off and restart it, the sound will go away until I drive for a couple more miles. Then it comes right back. It is EXTREMELY annoying, but it is almost impossible to hear when the radio is at a normal listening level (to give you an idea of how loud it is).

This week I took the vehicle back to where I bought it. The service guy said that what I am hearing is a normal engine sound. He said that IF I was hearing anything additional from this area of the car, it was the AC re-circulation valve, which are a common problem on the 2011's. He ordered the part and said they would replace it because they know it will go bad. This is rediculous to me. If the sound I pointed out is normal, why is he replacing this part?

I have had other people ride in the car and they heard the rattle as well. I'm not crazy. I've also contacted MazdaUSA.com and they have not responded as of yet.

So my questions are:

1.) Does anyone else have this problem?
2.) Is the dealer ignoring the rattle because they don't feel like looking for it?
3.) Could it be the exhaust "settling"?
4.) WTF is a air recirculation valve and why would you change it if it was creating a sound that, in your opinion, didn't exist?
5.) Is this rattle normal?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 PM

Sorry to hear that. I have the 2010 i touring model bought it on 2010. Is basically the same as yours other than some minor cosmetic redesign on the bumpers. I have about 16k miles on mine so far and have not heard any rattling noise like yours. In fact, mine still quiet with zero rattling noise entire car front to rear like a new car except that one time read (2) below.

So I think (1) you might be unlucky with yours. OR
(2) it had happened on me once so far that leaf got into my A/C fan and start making small rattling noise like you describe. Went to the dealer and they found the problem and remove the leaf. Have not hear any noise since then. If I remember correctly the dealer told me I am not the 1st person that got leaf stuck in the vent and heard that noise. So I would start by turning off the fan of you A/C when u hear that noise. And if u don't hear that noise, then it is for sure leaf or light foreign object got stuck in your A/C fan.