Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2013 Mazda 3: strange key-fob issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 10:27 AM
Default 2013 Mazda 3: strange key-fob issues

Yesterday the Key Fob did not work, and the spare did not either. So I took out the actual key from inside the fob, and the car started up fine, and the FOB resumed working. Even after I shut the car off, it restarted fine, and the fob locked, unlocked and allowed me to start the car, so there are no 'dead battery issues'.

Then, a few hours later, same thing. Everything was dead, the only way to get it to work was the manual key, but once I used it, everything worked fine again. This process has been repeated several times. It appears that when I use the manual key, it resets something, and the FOB works for a while (maybe an hour, give or take), and then it doesn't.

Any ideas on what this might be, or how to troubleshoot it?
  • I "think" I've eliminated dead batteries.
  • I don't think the fob has gone bad, because it is the same with both of them
  • The car seems to work
  • I've had this car since new (8.5 years, 105k miles) and this just started yesterday.

Hoping the collective knowledge of this site might be able to point me in a direction to resolve it. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Buy two good quality remote batteries. The need to be over the 3v label.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Myghost
Yesterday the Key Fob did not work, and the spare did not either. So I took out the actual key from inside the fob, and the car started up fine, and the FOB resumed working. Even after I shut the car off, it restarted fine, and the fob locked, unlocked and allowed me to start the car, so there are no 'dead battery issues'.

Then, a few hours later, same thing. Everything was dead, the only way to get it to work was the manual key, but once I used it, everything worked fine again. This process has been repeated several times. It appears that when I use the manual key, it resets something, and the FOB works for a while (maybe an hour, give or take), and then it doesn't.

Any ideas on what this might be, or how to troubleshoot it?
  • I "think" I've eliminated dead batteries.
  • I don't think the fob has gone bad, because it is the same with both of them
  • The car seems to work
  • I've had this car since new (8.5 years, 105k miles) and this just started yesterday.

Hoping the collective knowledge of this site might be able to point me in a direction to resolve it. Thanks.
I ordered two new batteries for my Fobs, I assumed that was not the problem, but also knew I'd eventually need them. To my surprise, when I replaced the battery, the problem is fixed. (I guess it was low enough to not work, but not completely dead, hence the intermittent problems.) Anyway, problem solved.