Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2014 Mazda 3 Vibration/Shaking/Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 AM

I picked up a 14 Mazda3i GT about a week ago. It now has about 1k miles on it and it is starting to pull a little to the left at high speeds (60+). I'll be taking it in for an alignment later this week to see if that fixes the issue. No vibes/shimmy coming from my ride. Still rides very smooth

Old 04-15-2014, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Anton Pugachevsky
It's been almost 2 months now, the car has 3500 miles. After getting two rear wheels/tires swapped from the lot, going to get everything Road Force Balanced twice at two different places, the car still vibrates.

Some people tell me "it definitely shakes a bit", others say "meh, you're being way too picky for a car this class".

Basically here's what I feel:

0-50 MPH, smooth ride.
50+ MPH, increasing vibration.

It's not horrible, like the entire car is not shaking and some people really have to pay close attention to notice it. It's particularly noticeable when I am driving, and no one is in the passenger seat. I glance over, and I see that the seat is actually vibrating, especially visible in the seat belt buckle which shows some significant motion. Otherwise it's not something that makes my steering wheel visually vibrate or anything.

Any ideas? Dealer told me "we aren't sure what else to do, that's the best you're going to get with these tires". I keep asking people online who have 2014 3's and no one seems to have this problem. Maybe I am more picky than most people?
I have new Mazda 3 2.2 diesel 2014 and my problem is the same as yours. after about 90-100Kmh(55-60Mph) is vibrating,and is very irritable for me. I have 18inch rims on order and i will here update if was problem in 16inch Toyo tyres.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 AM

Definitely is not a problem with rims or tyres,i have changed original 16" with new 18" rims and tyres and is still shaking

Old 06-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Default Having the same issue

I just got a '14 Mazda 3 4-dr Touring, 2L engine, Auto, Yokohama AVID S34FV three weeks ago. I am also having the exact vibration/shimmy that you are describing. I notice that it gets worst during hot days. Just as you explained, it is not a violent vibration but a steady shake that makes my hands tingle after an hour of driving. It's most pronounced above 58 mph and reaches its peak at 68-70. I tried shifting the engine to neutral and letting the car coast to a stop, no change in the vibration. That eliminates a lot of things such as motor mounts, engine, etc.
The dealer's service dept. rebalanced the wheels and did an alignment. No improvement and it still pulls slightly to the left. (I sometimes wonder if they really do anything, because nothing seems any different.)
I believe that there may be an inherent issue with the design and engineering of this vehicle or these Yokohama tires are a bad design, bad molding, bad rubber...something. I have anther appt. scheduled in a few days to continue the diagnosis. Vibrations are the toughest problems to fix especially in a new car because visually everything looks fine.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Did someone resolved vibration problem?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Default Vibration fixed

I returned to the dealer who has been more than courteous in this matter. They checked the wheels more closely and determined that one of them had been bent in transit. It was replaced and the car rides much smoother. I do believe though that Mazda has engineered these vehicles with a stiffer suspension that can transmit pavement irregularities and problems in the car more easily.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 AM

Lucky you,i changed all 4 wheels and tyres,and is still vibrating

Old 07-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Thumbs down Vibration

Originally Posted by Anton Pugachevsky
It's been almost 2 months now, the car has 3500 miles. After getting two rear wheels/tires swapped from the lot, going to get everything Road Force Balanced twice at two different places, the car still vibrates.

Some people tell me "it definitely shakes a bit", others say "meh, you're being way too picky for a car this class".

Basically here's what I feel:

0-50 MPH, smooth ride.
50+ MPH, increasing vibration.

It's not horrible, like the entire car is not shaking and some people really have to pay close attention to notice it. It's particularly noticeable when I am driving, and no one is in the passenger seat. I glance over, and I see that the seat is actually vibrating, especially visible in the seat belt buckle which shows some significant motion. Otherwise it's not something that makes my steering wheel visually vibrate or anything.

Any ideas? Dealer told me "we aren't sure what else to do, that's the best you're going to get with these tires". I keep asking people online who have 2014 3's and no one seems to have this problem. Maybe I am more picky than most people?

Oh my, don't even get me started. I purchased a 2016 CX-5 in February. I did my due diligence, did some research in terms of vehicles to drive, car and driver, etc. all were really good. The day I drove the vehicle off the lot, it vibrated. I was told it was a wheel balancing issue. I went back, they balanced, this happened 3 times. Still a vibration - I went back, they changed the rims, still an issue. I returned, they took out the drive shaft and said they drove it without it and, there wasn't any issue, they tighted the motor mounts and transmission - I drove it home, still an issue. They tell me that 'all CX-5's vibrate' and some bull**** about it is an SUV and it is a bit stiffer - and the low profile tires make it so. I drove a number of SUV before purchasing the CX-5 - they did not vibrate. I just took it back again and drove the area manager's vehicle, it also had a slight vibration to it, but not as prominent as mine. They have now replaced my Toyo tires with Michelin's - I drove it home last night and while the ride is a bit smoother, it still vibrates at high speed. Since now doing some more 'detailed' searches on the internet, re: 'vibration'. I see it isn't just the SUV for Mazda that has had this problem. I am at my wits end - I will not take their 'well, they all do it' story. If anyone else has any other comments or suggestions I would appreciate it. I have now been back to Mazda 9 times since February and they have not yet fixed it. Anjel