Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2014 Mazda3 Infotainment Problems? Yes. You too? Call Mazda!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 AM

I am interested in your comment about the dash noise.... My Mazda3 2014 has started to make a creaking noise up near the front right side somewhere. It's intermittent, but really annoying. I keep trying to pin point it but not having much luck. Doesn't seem to matter what kind of driving I'm doing. What was your noise like?

Old 06-08-2014, 11:17 AM

I've been experiencing oddness with the USB ports. I use a 32GB USB mini drive and 1 out of 5 times of starting and stopping the car it goes back to the first song saved to the drive, which really isn't that big of a deal. One or two times now, it's not reconnected directly to the USB and started the radio, again not that big of a deal, just a glitch. Yesterday, when coming home from a road trip, it was playing a song from USB and stopped. I wasn't able to skip the song, it just stayed at 1:10 min into the song and continued displaying the "now playing". I tried switching to Bluetooth via my phone, it showed the song as playing both on the phone and on the screen but no sound came out of the speakers. Switched to HD Radio and it played for a bit before shutting off--no sound, and I wasn't able to change the channel. I pulled over, shut-off the car and pulled the USB drive, which was extremely hot. When I restarted the car, the radio came back but the USB did not, so I left the drive unplugged. About a half hour later I made a stop and when I started the car I plugged the USB back in and it worked, as did the Bluetooth. I will let the Dealer know about this on Monday. Does anyone know if this would be fixed with a software update?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM

That usually happens to me too. Expect the radio experiencing the same issues as the USB but I have the latest update (according to the dealer) that's available and it still happens just as frequently as it has since I got the car. But mine usually goes back to normal after unplugging and plugging back in twice.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Default There is a fix for this

Originally Posted by Jules
I am interested in your comment about the dash noise.... My Mazda3 2014 has started to make a creaking noise up near the front right side somewhere. It's intermittent, but really annoying. I keep trying to pin point it but not having much luck. Doesn't seem to matter what kind of driving I'm doing. What was your noise like?
TSB has been released that sounds like the same problem. Easy fix for dealer. If I remember right, they file a part where the pillar meets the fender.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Default Infotainment Issues

In February I purchased a new Mazda 3S Grand touring.

I have had a couple of issues with it, most are to do with the Nav and Infotainment system. The car telling me that Nav was not installed in the car etc - Been back at the dealership twice for this. The local dealership had it for 3 days at one point and rebooted everything, installed new software and even had the Mazda north american guys check it out.

The dealership guys really want to be helpful and take care of the matter.

A couple of weeks ago I dropped by to discuss the sound system - the speakers cutting out intermittently and they told me to monitor it and here is my email to them today - hoping they will be able to take care of it:

I dropped by a the service desk a couple of weeks ago and spoke with you about the sound system in my 2014 Mazda 3. While playing any CD the right or left channel would intermittently cut out. I said I would drive it for a bit longer and see if the matter corrected itself.

Last time my Mazda was in there for a service issue, an update was done on the Nav system.

Since I dropped by and spoke with you the following has happened:

1) The left or right speaker was fine for a few days and is now back to cutting in and out intermittently.

2) While driving along the Nav screen quit and a message came up saying that this car is not equipped with Navigation. Stopping and restarting the car bought the Nav screen back. I have attached a photo for your reference.

3) The audio system, which most of the time is set to a CD keeps reverting back to the radio and I have to go in and reset it play a CD. It does not matter what CD I am playing. This has just started happening since I spoke with you.

4) On the weekend I was showing homes and the Nav system audio stopped working. You could hear a voice very faintly in the drivers side speaker but it was not loud enough to be able to make out anything that was being said. The audio was there when setting up the destination but once programmed the audio was all but gone. Reset the destination two more times and same problem.

5) The voice activation system works sometimes and not other times.

In the September 2014 issue of MotorTrend magazine - Page 125 (I am sure you have an issue somewhere there - also photo attached of the review) they have a long term 2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring and lost all audio, nav and functioning USB ports despite attempting to reboot the system.

6) Also from this review in Motor Trend I see they are averaging 31mpg over 5,000 miles. I am still currently at 23mpg and I am sure you and I agree that these guys drive their cars far harder than the average person.

Obviously this issue with the Nav and sound system is becoming more and more of a problem and would like to get this taken care of. The car currently has just over 2,000 miles on it.

On the MPG I have been told to wait until 3,000 miles for the car to be broken in before they will look at it again but I just wanted for you to make a note of this. I am keeping each fill up receipt with the mpg achieved.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you.

After not hearing from the dealership - I dropped in late this afternoon. Resent the email to another service advisor and they will get back with me tomorrow.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TennKi
In February I purchased a new Mazda 3S Grand touring.

I have had a couple of issues with it, most are to do with the Nav and Infotainment system. The car telling me that Nav was not installed in the car etc - Been back at the dealership twice for this. The local dealership had it for 3 days at one point and rebooted everything, installed new software and even had the Mazda north american guys check it out.

The dealership guys really want to be helpful and take care of the matter.

A couple of weeks ago I dropped by to discuss the sound system - the speakers cutting out intermittently and they told me to monitor it and here is my email to them today - hoping they will be able to take care of it:

I dropped by a the service desk a couple of weeks ago and spoke with you about the sound system in my 2014 Mazda 3. While playing any CD the right or left channel would intermittently cut out. I said I would drive it for a bit longer and see if the matter corrected itself.

Last time my Mazda was in there for a service issue, an update was done on the Nav system.

Since I dropped by and spoke with you the following has happened:

1) The left or right speaker was fine for a few days and is now back to cutting in and out intermittently.

2) While driving along the Nav screen quit and a message came up saying that this car is not equipped with Navigation. Stopping and restarting the car bought the Nav screen back. I have attached a photo for your reference.

3) The audio system, which most of the time is set to a CD keeps reverting back to the radio and I have to go in and reset it play a CD. It does not matter what CD I am playing. This has just started happening since I spoke with you.

4) On the weekend I was showing homes and the Nav system audio stopped working. You could hear a voice very faintly in the drivers side speaker but it was not loud enough to be able to make out anything that was being said. The audio was there when setting up the destination but once programmed the audio was all but gone. Reset the destination two more times and same problem.

5) The voice activation system works sometimes and not other times.

In the September 2014 issue of MotorTrend magazine - Page 125 (I am sure you have an issue somewhere there - also photo attached of the review) they have a long term 2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring and lost all audio, nav and functioning USB ports despite attempting to reboot the system.

6) Also from this review in Motor Trend I see they are averaging 31mpg over 5,000 miles. I am still currently at 23mpg and I am sure you and I agree that these guys drive their cars far harder than the average person.

Obviously this issue with the Nav and sound system is becoming more and more of a problem and would like to get this taken care of. The car currently has just over 2,000 miles on it.

On the MPG I have been told to wait until 3,000 miles for the car to be broken in before they will look at it again but I just wanted for you to make a note of this. I am keeping each fill up receipt with the mpg achieved.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you.

After not hearing from the dealership - I dropped in late this afternoon. Resent the email to another service advisor and they will get back with me tomorrow.
A replacement Tuner/Amplifier Unit (TAU) may fix some problems. The dealer should have a TSB on that.

What version Infotainment s/w do you have? Version 29 should fix the missing Nav and several other problems. The left speaker will cut out when the Nav system tries to speak (but may not say anything if crashed). Next time the speaker cuts out, make sure any Nav route is cancelled. Also, when Nav is too low to hear, try re-adjusting the volume (press Nav and it repeats the last command, so press Nav and then immediately turn up volume).

You can reboot the entire Infotainment system by pressing all 3 at the same time and holding for a few seconds, Return, Nav and Vol/mute.

I have the smaller engine, but my gas mileage is great. I have gotten over 40 mpg on a tank.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Hey everyone. After months of having the infotainment issues (USB disconnect and freezing and the entire system shutting off for no apparent reason) and gone in 5 seperate times to no avail, I've filed for a lemon law claim. They are going to yet again put an update in my system next week and see if that fixes it. I'm so upset because I honestly love this car and am a mazda person (my second mazda third car) but this is way below par for paying for a new car. If anyone has had any success with resolving this issue please let me know !

Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Default Infotainment - How to Hard Reboot When it Craps Out

Remove positive battery terminal, replace positive battery terminal, done.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:12 PM

Software updates fix most of the problems, but you will also see that with the update comes some greyed out options for the GPS...mainly local search and wifi connection. They disabled the features that let you wifi tether your phone to the system to update local traffic, weather and google searching for the GPS. Basically, they left you with a GPS that las less features than a $99 Garmin you can by on NOMORERACK.COM.

I called Mazda Care hotline and they didn't know anything about it but later got back to me saying Mazda disabled the feature and they don't know yet if they will bring it back or if they will come up with a "paid" service to link your GPS to get traffic and weather. Nice. You will eventually have to PAY for maps after three years of owning the car and they will try to soak you so that you can turn your GPS into something functional. Thanks Mazda!

Old 10-05-2014, 01:43 AM

I am new to this forum and thankfully stumbled upon this thread.

I bought a 2014 S Touring hatchback in July. Since then I've had the car in twice for infotainment issues (screen freezing, sound cutting in and out, screen going blank etc..) This is very frustrating!! The last time I had it in (about 2 weeks ago) they did a software update to help correct the issues but nothing has improved.

Thursday the DSC and Tire pressure system malfunctioned but corrected itself after restarting the car.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mazda3 Infotainment Problems? Yes. You too? Call Mazda!