Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Adding Subs to a stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Default Adding Subs to a stock stereo

I was looking to add subs to my 3 without replacing the stock stereo. I talked to a sound guy, and he said i needed a converter to hook to my rear speakers to act as rca's. Does anyone know where i can buy this conversion? Or is there any other way to do it.

Thank You

Old 07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Default RE: Adding Subs to a stock stereo

What you need is a "Line Level Adapter" that will allow your stock deck to output into RCA for your amplifier. They get the job done, but they suck....

Your far better off going complete aftermarket from the deck back, but it's your call.

Last time I bought one for a friend the adapter cost around $80 Canadian, but that was years ago.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:17 PM

I would think it depends on what kind of sound your looking to achieve. If your looking for just a little more bump in the low-band, but are happy with the OEM setup, it should be fine for that. Which to me it sounds like that is what you are looking for if you don't want to lose the factory system.

If you looking to improve sound quality and bigger boom, that won't happen!! You'll be adding more distortion and muffled soundwaves to what already exists....just louder.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:38 AM

JS - do you plan on installing a new amplifier for the sub or just using the one that is currently in the vehicle?

Cuz what I get from this is that the sub and amp I just bought for my hatchback is going to sound like crap if I keep the factory Bose stereo and use a Line Level Converter.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 AM

I would be using a new amp... I had a guy at a stereo electronics store tell me it wouldnt sound bad.

How many people have tried this, or have heard a stereo using a line level converter?

Old 07-07-2006, 03:25 AM

Its just simpler to put in a new headunit, the big *** space might a little...distracting but you could put your crap there, plus just using the stock headunit against an amp and 2 two subs is alot of underpower all thats going through not only would the sound come out muffeled and distorted but the bump your trying to get wont be as satistfying, and to make matters worse you would be shortening the life of your amp and sub, so just get a new headunit along with everything else, but if your low on cash (like the rest of us) just getting a new headunit by itself will be good enough till you get more money for everything else.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:01 PM

ok everyone that posted it will make it sound worse has no idea what they are talking about. i used to run a stereo shop and we used to do this all the time to stock stereos that sounded good just people wanted more bass. i as well have this done in my car and it sounds great. i have to Pioneer IMPP 12" subs hooked to a line level converter i bought at a stereo shop for 35 bucks and it bumps real hard.an aftermarket deck is not required by any stretch of the imagination.the only good thing about an aftermarket deck would be more control over the sound frequencies such as mids,highs and lows subwoofer control on so on.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Clnmazda3
no idea what they are talking about
precisely why I didn't leave a post. I know I know nothing about car stereos. Can you blame me though? my radio is the exhaust system! (I have a CD player/ radio but I was saying how sweet a rotary with gutted pipes sounds)

Old 07-08-2006, 01:02 PM

hte line level converter runs about 20 dollars for a good one by stinger. i installed 2 10" audiobahn 300 watts and 1500 american pro amp in my 05 mazda3. one word of advice, don't buy the cheapest line level converter you find, get the one that costs a little more or you will have constant bumping from subs when the stereo isn't on. if you have any other questions on your 3's stereo, hit back