Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

After tire rotation??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Default After tire rotation??

Hey guys, I just got my tires rotated and balanced and it sounds and rides rough compared to before....what could be the problem?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: After tire rotation??

Sounds like alignment time to me.
I'm only guessing here, but it sounds likeeither the rear tires, or the front ones are wearing unevenly. Move them around to a wheel that is in alignment and it will make noise.
Did the shop only rotate them front to rear, or side-to-side also?
I don;t believe in side-to-side rotations. This too could be a problem, especially w/radial tires.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 PM

If you left them on too long before you rotated them you probably wore down the inside edge of the tires. I've found that when bringing the rear tires to the front, I get a vibration.

I ended up with staggered tires due to a couple of BIG potholes(fronts/rears with about 20K difference in mileage) and I'd just put the new tires up front, and put the 20K old ones on the rear, once the fronts got to 20K, I'd do it again.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 AM

I have a pair of good ones in the rear, and older ones in the front......i always thought it's necessary to put new tires (if only two are replaced) in the rear for FWD cars so traction in the rear is good to avoid spining or fish-tailing.
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:41 AM

More tractive effort is required of the front tires (both steering and acceleration), whereas the rear tires are just providing lateral grip.

Lose the rear, you can countersteer out of it. Lose the front and you're toast.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: sstlaure
Lose the front and you're toast.
Understeer is the scariest thing I've ever felt in a car. Period.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:36 PM

Nothing like being aimed right where you don't want to bewith no way to pull out of it.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Been there, done that in both front and rear wheel drive cars.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

More tractive effort is required of the front tires (both steering and acceleration), whereas the rear tires are just providing lateral grip.

Lose the rear, you can countersteer out of it. Lose the front and you're toast.
SST, I can see your point, but I can feel it if the front is losing traction and correct it, but if the rear is losing grip, when you feel it, it'd be too late to do anything to correct it. Of course, the best would be to get all 4 new ones, but that's out of question. See the link below.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...artire-change/
________
AVANDIA SETTLEMENT

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

What bothers me about that demonstration is that they do not distinguish between a front and rear wheel drive vehicles. The drivers are also maintaining a constant speed, even when the vehicle begins to hydroplane. Who would do that in real life?
There was at least one 3 series BMW (RWD) in that test and several Taurus's. To me it makes a big difference whether the front or the rear tires are the ones being driven by the engine.
In FWD carif the rear begins to skid and the front has traction, theoretically you can pull out of the skid by acceleratingthrough it.
In RWD, the opposite is usually true, just like the action of powering through a turn is just the opposite depending on the driven wheels.

Quick Reply: After tire rotation??