Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

After tire rotation??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Default RE: After tire rotation??

bring it back to the place that did it, they may have messed up the weights, they should be able to check it out for ya, thats the first step but the leaving it on to long if it was out of whack could be true, good luck

Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: virgin1
What bothers me about that demonstration is that they do not distinguish between a front and rear wheel drive vehicles. The drivers are also maintaining a constant speed, even when the vehicle begins to hydroplane. Who would do that in real life?
There was at least one 3 series BMW (RWD) in that test and several Taurus's. To me it makes a big difference whether the front or the rear tires are the ones being driven by the engine.
In FWD carif the rear begins to skid and the front has traction, theoretically you can pull out of the skid by acceleratingthrough it.
In RWD, the opposite is usually true, just like the action of powering through a turn is just the opposite depending on the driven wheels.
unfortunately the story in the video isn't complete, but it covers for FWD cars. There is a brief moment ther showing a white BMW that they did not indicate if it's FWD or RWD. However, the vedio comparison and of a blue and white Tauruses are identical cars, and they are both FWD.

The technique of accelerating an oversteered car (tail loose or push) assumes that (1) the driver detects the loose tail early enough, which is unlikely in real traffic; (2) you have enough room in the surrounding to do it assuming (1) is true; (3) you have a very, very brief window to correct it if both (1) and (2) are true. This is limited by your car's steering angle.

On the other hand, for a FWD car, if the front is loosing grip, an average driver would be able to feel it, and by slowing down he would be able to save it. If all the above is theory, the highway crash clip at end of the video would be proof. But people who won't believe this would be easily able to find crash footage proving the opposite is true. My hope is that we are sensitive enough when behind wheels so that we don't get in situations like that.

BTW, I've asked the auto mechanics in the past on this topic, many of them were aware, and they usually refuse to mount two new tires in the front for FWD drive cars.

________
Live sex

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 AM

The problem with your braking example is that if you are already sliding the front end, you have already broke the traction with the ground. You can hit the brake all you want, but you're just going to be asking even more out of the tire contact patch that is already sliding (weight transfers forward under braking)

Recommendations tend to be for the average (or below) driver. I've seen people do some incredibly stupid things behind the wheel and unfortunately in this country we have too many lawyers...This drives recommendations to the lowest level and assumes that people can't drive.

If you're driving fast enough to slide the rear end in a FWD car through a corner, there shouldn't be any traffic around. Most crashes occur because eitherpeople are driving too fast/too close,theyaren't paying attention and then they have to react quickly and accurately to maintain control of the car when something unexpected happens. (which they tend to not do a great job of.)

I see your point, but with the driving experience I have, I'll stick with my method.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

The problem with your braking example is that if you are already sliding the front end, you have already broke the traction with the ground. You can hit the brake all you want, but you're just going to be asking even more out of the tire contact patch that is already sliding (weight transfers forward under braking)

Agreed.

Recommendations tend to be for the average (or below) driver.I've seen people do some incredibly stupid things behind the wheel and unfortunately in this country we have too many lawyers...This drives recommendations to the lowest level and assumes that people can't drive.

I see examples of that every day!! We give driver's licenses to people that are not qualified to drive a lawn tractor in this country. It should be a harder thing to accomplish... after respect for the road and the vehicle is learned.
And about the lawyers (waayyyy off-topic here): I saw aTV spot the just yesterday for firm of lawyers that are taking ATV manufacturer's to task because of people rolling over and getting hurt in them!! How stupid is that? IMO, if you buy one of those things to have fun with, there are some consequences that you'd better expect to live with. It's not the manufacturer's fault that you're an idiot and don't know how to take responsibility for your own adult actions!!! Ridiculous... ambulance chasers!!! They're the biggest problem.

I see your point, but with the driving experience I have, I'll stick with my method.

I too see your point, Win, and am not trying to argue w/you either, but debate this issue.
I am a hugh cynic when it comes to corporate America's ideas of how we should do things and always question their motives.They are not always to our best advantage, but usually to their own... like any salesperson's.
BTW: A 3 series only comes as arear or AWD vehicle. Rear tire tractioncan be easily overcome with hard acceleration on the RWD version. Most are RWD.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 AM

guys, I never said "braking" in my post! I said slowing down, by that I meant to just lift your right foot off gas, which is usually enough to regain traction. I don't want to argue that putting 2 new tires in the rear is a univerally good choice. What I have been saying is that it's lesser of the two evils. I had experience driving on packed snow on bend and downhill, and consider myself an average driver. What I learnt was that I could handle loose front much better than loose tail simply because I could feel it right away when the front lost grip, hence have time and a wider window to correct it. I consider this favorable condition a good thing even to skilled drivers. You just can not be super alert and swift all the time.

________
WEED BUBBLERS

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 AM

I have had the same problem. However, we had a brand new set of tires and the wheels were balanced and the suspension was true. The dealer is telling us we need to balance and rotate every 3K miles. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? The tires are completely notched from irregular wear and i have never heard that you have to rotate tires every 3k miles.

ORIGINAL: ekips_06

Hey guys, I just got my tires rotated and balanced and it sounds and rides rough compared to before....what could be the problem?