Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

After two years of waiting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Default After two years of waiting...

I am finally making the jump and buying my Mazda 3 hatchback this week!! ZOOM ZOOM!! I have had a hard time with choosing a color but I have settled on Celestial Blue. I debated going with white or red, but dang it, that blue keeps drawing me back. Wish me luck and any advice that you have to offer would be much appreciated!

Kev

Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 PM

gratz pal. be on the look out for power steering issues, faulty maf sensor, and in rare cases a failed passenger side motor mount

Old 05-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

I know what you mean. I didn't care much for that color at first, but it kinda' grows on ya'.
I'm so glad Mazda brought Velocity Red back, and while I like CWP, it does show dirt faster than a non-metallic white does.

Congrats, and welcome to Mazdaforum!!

I don't think PS is an issue on the 10's-11's? I'm pretty sure that issue had been resolved a few years ago.
Now cleaning the MAF sensor once in a while is probably a good idea. But do it carefully and safely. Follow any instructions on the can of cleaner and be careful not to touch or damage the sensor in any way.

And be sure to start an album, garage and/or post some pics!!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Regarding the 2009 and earlier Power Steering issue; it is my understanding that as long as one doesn't keep the steering wheel turned to full lock and held there for several seconds, the power steering system should last the life of the car.

My 2009 Mazda3 has the Power Steering system recall in place, however, I've yet to find the time to have the recall performed. I'm hoping to find the time this summer to have the work done (probably when I have my next set of tires mounted; I'm getting close now with nearly 45,000 on the original set), however, as I rarely even turn the wheel all of the way to lock (and immediately back-off when I do), I'm not at all worried about the Power Steering system in my car failing.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1
I know what you mean. I didn't care much for that color at first, but it kinda' grows on ya'.
I'm so glad Mazda brought Velocity Red back, and while I like CWP, it does show dirt faster than a non-metallic white does.

Congrats, and welcome to Mazdaforum!!

I don't think PS is an issue on the 10's-11's? I'm pretty sure that issue had been resolved a few years ago.
Now cleaning the MAF sensor once in a while is probably a good idea. But do it carefully and safely. Follow any instructions on the can of cleaner and be careful not to touch or damage the sensor in any way.

And be sure to start an album, garage and/or post some pics!!

I will be sure to take pics and post on here!! I still haven't 100% decided on the color, we shall see......

Old 05-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

While quality control over different vehicles of the same kind has improved greatly over the years and there is little difference between one Mazda3 and another, you would probably better to decide on the car by driving several of the same trim, options, etc, and let the color choose itself based on your findings, if you know what I mean?

But the blue is nice... especially when viewed in person.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:12 PM

I stopped by the dealership where i bought my 3 from, i talk to the salesman and shop manager i know about the 2nd gen 3's just to see how things are going and shoot the breeze. One thing i always ask is about the problems they or may not have, seems the PS issue still has yet to be resolved since Mazda is still using the ones they have in stock and have not redesigned them, the problem isnt really the pump though, its the owners turning them lock to lock for a long time. Even though there is a TSB for the engine harness rubbing and causing opens they only had to replace a few when the 2nd gens first came out. Same cheap *** motor mounts.

Last edited by Tracker; 05-21-2011 at 12:15 PM.