Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Aftermarket backup camera revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Default Aftermarket backup camera revisited

So my first post didn't get any real information, so I've dug a little deeper, and here's hoping someone has a bit more info that I need. To recapture what's been said/asked:

My car didn't come with the backup camera option, though I do have the existing screen for which the stock camera would interface with (infotainment screen, i believe?) I couldn't imagine it being terribly difficult, but I called the dealership and cartoys, and both said it wasn't possible. I think it's more of an issue of they don't want to install an aftermarket camera and risk the warranty or something. It's a simple video input.

I managed to figure out how to access the screen plugs (which is much easier than I expected) but now all I'm needing is a pin out of the plugs that go into the screen. I think I'm getting really close to being able to get this setup, but I've seemed to have exhausted my resources. Anyone with a 2014 model that has that pinout maybe? I don't think there are any real differences between the 2014 and 2015 models.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Following part numbers are for NZ & Australian spec BM Mazda 3.
BM11ACRPAM Mirror integrated reverse parking camera- sedan
BM1HACRPAM Mirror integrated reverse parking camera- hatch.

For some reason I cant acess factory wiring diagrams thru my login at home, will try to download a copy at work for you.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:56 AM

I'm not referring to a rearview mirror integrated screen, I'm referring to this one:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/14...ent-screen.jpg

I do think the wiring diagram would be an immense help though, so I appreciate that!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 PM

So I think I've made headway here, but once again, hit another roadblock. I think the backup camera is as simple as connecting into the back of the CMU. I found a pinout for a 2014 model, which I presume to be the same as the 2015 because all the wiring seems to match up, with what I've compared so far.

On the back of the CMU, there are two plugs on the left side of the CMU (if you are looking at the CMU from behind: have it pulled out and all connectors disconnected) that are very similar to each other, but one seems to be for the USB ports, and the other has a LVDS positive and negative. From what I could find, the LVDS stands for low voltage differential signaling and seems to be used in high speed video applications. My hypothesis is that the cars that come from the factory with rear backup cameras utilize this port.

It would be really great if someone who has a backup camera could open theirs up and verify, maybe even disconnect it (presuming that plug is present, consistent with my hypothesis) and see if their backup camera feature goes away. Afterwards, I'd love to be able to do a full how-to for others.

To get to the back of the CMU really isn't difficult and requires only 1 tool, a 10mm socket on a 6" and 3" extension coupled together (that's what worked for me, anyway). Most of the disassembly I did with my hands/fingers and took a grand total of 15 mins to take apart, so I can walk someone through it if they are willing to delve in for the greater good.

PS - attached pic shows the plug, right next to my thumb, that I believe has the LVDS pins.

Last edited by jw11432; 05-02-2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Adding pic
Old 06-06-2015, 03:31 PM

So apparently it's not possible to add a camera if your car didn't come with one. Maybe the 2014 schematic is different from the 2015, that's another possibility. I tried two cameras, most recent one rated to be operable between 5V and 28V, and no luck. That's the most recent update. I think I'll keep looking and see if someone else found a solution, because surely I'm not the only one in this boat.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Lightbulb camera 2015 mazda 2

Hi!

I have a 2015 mazda 2, wich has a infotainment screen (just like the mazda 3 I beleave).

The seller pointed that a fitted camera would be like 350-400 euros.

I've found out that the cable from screen to camera is the dc3mv7531 to plug to camera d09h67rc0.

I figger the cable is the most important item to get because of the especific wiring on the screen; afterwards we can plug in any camera from ebay once we figger out wich are the wires to power source and wich is the wire to video signal.

But apparently the cable is not sold in Portugal.

Hope it helped. Any more usefull ideas?

Old 07-11-2015, 07:15 AM

Hello, there is a tutorial how to install a backup camera to a CX-5 2015-2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2v231NoI9k