Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

all mazda 3's have tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Default all mazda 3's have tiptronic?

kind of a silly question i know but I was just wondering before I go test drive.

I want a manual but I don't know how much I want to deal with the stop and go traffic that I drive in.

I THINK if they do have tiptronic though its only 4 speed which really doesn't sound nearly as fun as a 5 speed.

also are the paddle shifters on the wheel?

thanks

Old 12-19-2010, 01:37 AM

no paddle shifters, yes all auto versions come with tiptronic and no its not nor will it ever be as fun as a real manual.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:37 AM

So you change gears with the stick then when in tip mode?

Just want to get a idea before i go drive it on monday.. but its going to be 4 speed automatic then?

Might just go with manual then, trying to get a 06-08 mazda 3 sedan in black/gray/white for about 11k

Last edited by jam3s121; 12-19-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM

There is not now, nor will there ever be a true replacement for a manual transmission. If you want to stir your own, buy a manual; if you want to be a passenger in your own car, buy an automatic.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

jam, it sounds like you are looking at a 3i which is the base model (black/gray/"white".) $11k for a used '06-'08 sounds a little high to me?
I would do your homework before agreeing to or signing anything.

Oh BTW: This is only a matter of logistics, but I believe TipTronic used to be either Porsche or VW's name for a "shiftable" automatic. IIRC, Mazda calls it a Sport Shift.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

The '04-'05 2.0/2.3 ATX 3's have a 4-speed gear box. In '06+ 3's the 2.3L ATX's were changed to a 5-speed gear box. So it really depends on which car you're looking at.

Oh and like the others said there are no paddle shifters and you need to shift via the gear shift. When in manual mode you just push it forward or backwards to shift the car.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Yeah I knew mazda had a different name for it, most people reconigize the system by what porsche called it. Wasn't sure what mazda called it.

You think 11k is too much for a car with less then 50k miles in excellent condition? I know you can get a pretty much standard no features new 3 for like 19k 2011 but thats a little to much and I would get a VW GTI then.

I'm going to test drive a automatic and manual one tomorrow, but I want to look around for a super clean white one, want to put 6k hids, fogs, paint calipers, 17 inch rims/tires and put the OEM stock spoiler thats on some of the 3 sedans but not all. Do some performance stuff too.

I'm looking at the sedan model only, the 3 hatchback is ugly with 4 doors

Last edited by jam3s121; 12-19-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by jam3s121
Yeah I knew mazda had a different name for it, most people reconigize the system by what porsche called it. Wasn't sure what mazda called it.

You think 11k is too much for a car with less then 50k miles in excellent condition? I know you can get a pretty much standard no features new 3 for like 19k 2011 but thats a little to much and I would get a VW GTI then.

I'm going to test drive a automatic and manual one tomorrow, but I want to look around for a super clean white one, want to put 6k hids, fogs, paint calipers, 17 inch rims/tires and put the OEM stock spoiler thats on some of the 3 sedans but not all. Do some performance stuff too.

I'm looking at the sedan model only, the 3 hatchback is ugly with 4 doors
$19k? From where?!

Try about $16k-$17k for a basic model.

As far as manual vs automatic, I have driven both. Two identical cars, one mine, one a rental from Enterprise, with almost the same amount of miles, identical in every way, even down to the black paint and hubcap design, lol. Mine is the manual, the rental was the automatic.

I'll take my manual transmission any day over that car. I wasn't disappointed at all by the automatic, I liked it. But like it has been said, there is simply no substitute for a manual.

Awesome Shift > Sport Shift

Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmmm. Well put, Gary!

However I have been disappointed in the autos I have driven, primarily a brand new 2008 6i VE... two of them as a matter of fact.
They shifted up way too quick on its own for a very dull ride, and way too slow (up or down) when I "asked" it to.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 PM

Heres a Youtube video of how the Actimatic trans works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjHT41opjc

Quick Reply: all mazda 3's have tiptronic?