Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Anti-Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Default Anti-Sway Bars

I've done my search and my reading and haven't found clear answers to my questions. I have an 08 s sedan.
How much work is it to replace the front sway bar on these cars? How much ofa difference in ride quality will aftermarket ones make? Will it make it ride harsh? Why does it make it drive worse in snow?
Thank you

Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Default RE: Anti-Sway Bars

The sway bar should not make the right quality suffer. Isee the weakest link being a problem which is the links at the struts. lateral g's should improve just due to the fact that there will be less body movement and tire deflection.i upgraded mine a my old camaro and made a great difference in the corners. but RWD over FWD i don't know. My stratus has no sway bars cause of airride.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

To answer your questionsfrom my own experience (or lack there of,) sway bars will make a car less snow-worthy because the weight transfer to the outside wheels hasbeen reduced. W/O that, you are reducing traction to the outside wheels in a turn.
I haven't yet done it myself, but I understand that the front bar can be a b*t*h. The front sub frame needs to be lowered slightly (1-3") for access. Of course, that also means the engine and tranny go along for the ride... so to speak.
But as Floaten states, the ride should not be harsher as the bars are only doing work when cornering. The harder you corner, the more work they have to do to help keep the body level.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 PM

interesting...while sway bars came up i will be adding a rear bottom sway bar and front upper sway bar will that improve my handling or it won't do much...from what i have heard the top upper mount doesnt do sht but i could be wrong.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

A rear bottom, and anupper front???
You are confusing anti-sway bars with somethingelse... I would say, strut/chassisbraces perhaps?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 PM

yea thats what i mean, sorry dude...not sway bars just braces anti sway bars i will be getting later on down the road too expensive right now....then again i might not even do that later on i just want to make the handling a tad bit better since its excellent as is around corners and its on original tires and rims...comming from driving a altima (big *** car) to driving this its handling is superb.