Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:32 AM
Default anyone else have this problem?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum...

I've got a 2005 SP23, which I absolutely love. I bought it in July of 2005, and it's got a little over 10,000 miles on it. The car has been flawless, except for this: around 8,000 miles or so, I began to notice a slight creaking noise in the roof whenever I turned into or out of a driveway or a parking lot. (Basically, any time I'm driving from pavement of one height to pavement of another.) The sound has gotten louder and is quite noticeable; occasionally I even here a sort of metallic popping noise, almost like a spring. I'm guessing this is caused by the body twisting when I turn onto these uneven surfaces, but I can't believe a car that's only a year old, with so few miles on it, would have these kinds of structural issues. Especially since this car is built on the same platform as a Volvo! I have a sunroof and curtain airbags, so maybe the sound is coming from one of these two components, or maybe it's just the headliner/trim pieces (although nothing has moved or come loose). Anyway, my questions are these:

1) Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem? And have you done anything about it?
2) How likely do you think the dealer will be to do anything about it?

I realize rattles and other noises are part of owning a car, especially in the city, but this seems a little extreme to me. I owned a 2002 Protege before this, also with a sunroof, and I never had this kind of structural issue.

Sorry for the long-winded post, I just want to be specific about my issue! Thanks for your help.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Default RE: anyone else have this problem?

It's still under warranty, the dealer should take care of it.

Take the service rep on a drive and duplicate the noise, then if they say they all do that, grab a similar vehicle from the lot and try to make the noise.

I've got over 37,000 on my 3 and no creaking/popping noises. (no sunroof though)

Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: anyone else have this problem?

I have 22k miles on my car. 03/05 build date, and I have both the moonroof, and the side airbags. Mine's never made a noise like that when going over uneven pavement. Sounds like there might be something loose with the moonroof and it's shifting...... that being said I don't actualy know.

Take it in