Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Automatic or Manual Option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Default RE: Automatic or Manual Option?

the jury has it. standard is better then automatic... for driving wise anyhow

Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

thats a granted ken but what this guy is saying that you only should have a standard for racing and automatic for real life driving. do you know that more people drive standard's then automatic, they are cheaper, they are better on gas and they are soo much fun to drive.
Jimmer:

You are incorrect when you suggest that more people drive standards as opposed to manuals. The majority of vehicles sold are automatics. Most people are too lazy and want auto's. What is true, is that manual vehicles are more fun to drive and the cars feel totallydifferent, depending on the transmission you have. Case in point, my wifes TSX is way better in manual than auto. That said, some people just prefer auto's as you just put them in drive and go.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 PM

granted there are cars that are meant to be automatics (minivans, select trucks and SUV's but cars like a mazda3, honda civic, toyota corolla, they should be standard even though they are gas efficient on their own the standard is what helps it so much more. on average an automatic mazda3 gets about 28-29 mpg overall, the standard mazda3 gets about 31-32 mpg overall. and the automatic is 1100 more then the standard. so your paying more in 2 different areas.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Uh-oh. Dad"s here. ("jimmer?")
To get off the heated debate and general topic for a moment: Where have you been Glenn?
You haven"t been on for quite a while unless just lurking.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM

ha. my dad just lurks is all lol. and i lurk on his acura forum. so its all good lol

Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM

however I did state that the trim level that I choose DOES only come with an automatic so there's no confusion on my part about that... can you show me this. i have never heard of a trim level in a mazda3 that comes in just automatic. considering its an 1100$ option (which i have mentioned about 4 times since).

Old 01-11-2009, 03:05 PM

So let me see if i can sum all of this up in my own way (since this thread has turned into a auto vs. manual)

Auto is/for:
Lazy ppl
Old ppl
Old lazy ppl
The standard option for 6sec track monsters
Good for average joe's large vehicles i.e mini van, suv
Extremely boring
Is NOT like a stick if it has no clutch pedal (yes a working one)

Manual is/for:
MAN (get it?)
Fun
Less expensive to fix and replace
More durable
Nope still more fun
Also used in 6sec track monsters but consistency becomes an issue

Now somewhere yall started talkin bout performance cars and stuff like that (here we go again)

Bought:
Lame
NO real pride into making the car do what it does
Always goin to be more expensive to go faster vs a cheaper car that was built
Comes with a warrenty (on most cars)
Sometimes its just the better way to go
Still cant be reliable as a built car in some cases

Built:
WAAAAAAAY more pride as a driver
Fun to see that you can beat that 48k+ car with your 6k car (referring to a honda in this case)
If something is done wrong can cost you ALOT

Could think of more but i need 2 shoot some ppl soooooooo, take it how you want lol

Old 01-11-2009, 05:18 PM

You say that i like to build my car so other ppl can say thay i cant afford a real sports car and yet you bought an 09 audi w/paddle shifters thats like an F-1 car????? did you buy a helm and and function wing to give you that road race feel? like i stated before you can build an econo box and make it perform well better than a stock "sports car" for cheap, take for instance the wrx that destoryed the aston martin and viper in a road race, and yes the wrx was a 6spd manual. Also lets look at the numerous complatins that dodge got when the new challenger was only offered in auto thats why the newer ones are offered mostly in 6spd manual. O btw do i need to start foolding this thread with countless vids of mostly stock civics walking by ferraris in a circut race and track. Also you little theory on paddle shifters being the ultimate form of shifting that may be true for the most part but consider how much more you are paying, when a decent driver comes along with the same car as your audi and rolls by you on the circut then what....And wish i could have just gotten an manual so i can play footsies with my pedals in heavy traffic but saidly i cant use my car for that

Old 01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Forget it Track, this guy doesn"t have a clue.He simply does not get it and never will. It"s about as satisfying as talking to my mother about the car culture.
I still challenge him to find the all-auto Mazda3 though.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:49 PM

k this has been frustrating me all day. YOU NEED TO REALIZE that standard is for anyone who wishes to drive a standard i swear to god. paddleshifting can be better BUT IM NOT IN A FORMULA 1 CAR BUDDY. i am driving a mazda3 not a mclaren f-1. you need to realize that. and show us where it says that your model only comes in automatic. dont test our intelligence. we k now they all come in auto or manual transmission. you are just not understanding our points. you are the weakest link goodbye!

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual Option?