Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Automatic or Manual Option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Default RE: Automatic or Manual Option?

And since you posted the other 2 posts while I went to eat, and we are a bunch of Immature Children, but since you are wanting a more Mature crowd have fun trying to find that in a Mazda3 Forum, one of the reasons I am here more than any other Mazda Forum is because of the people.
But then again I did not come into the Forum on my first post and put people down because they had a Manual Trans either.
BTW, Maybe you need to go down to say Marin Mazda and ask a Mechanic, and not a sales person about a Manual in a MZ3 GT in 08.

BTW, I am probably a lot older than you think I am, and Virgin1 is older yet.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 PM

then untill you further improver i wont believe it. SINCE I HAVE OWNED A MAZDA3 (OH WHICH BRAINIAC WAS A 2008 NOT A 2008.5) THEY HAD STANDARD IN ALL OF THEM, you may have been reading it wrong standard equipment in that SPECIFIC CAR, not the actual car model itself. there is no way that there is a whole line of mazda3's that is automatic. thats retarded. when you show me this i will apologize for everything you said. i am the youngest on the forum but i still know my stuff. *richard i think may be the oldest followed by kenneth*. so untill you tell us and stop basically giving us a hard time about somethign we know alot about. god.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Good!!
Good Luck, Good News and Good Night!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 PM

OK, I am Not Debating, I am Proving the known truth, The link I posted above was to a 2008 Mazda 3 GT with a manual, this link is to the 2008 Brochure, not the 2008.5 either because the Phantom Purple Mica was an early 08 color and not available on the 2008.5"s
Look on Page 10 at the Spec pages.
http://www.sunridgemazda.com/img/gal...rochure_en.pdf

BTW, Enough Said, tell your friends at Mazda NA they don't know what they are talking about either.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Damn, fellows.I mean "really"................................

Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Siber Express

The link I posted above was to a 2008 Mazda 3 GT with a manual, this link is to the 2008 Brochure, not the 2008.5 either because the Phantom Purple Mica was an early 08 color and not available on the 2008.5"s
Look on Page 10 at the Spec pages.
http://www.sunridgemazda.com/img/gal...rochure_en.pdf
and there it is and that settles that.
i'm not trying to get involved in this whole silly argument, but just have to say that the truth hurts. thanks for the link siber.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:39 PM

i feel that driving vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions lack the element of control and intimacy that i associate with manual transmissions. i feel that in the present day, most people are too accustomed to having things done for them, whether it be mechanical maintenance and shifting a car to housekeeping and yard work. nothing beats the intimate experience of using one's own hands -blood & sweat- to accomplish daily tasks. but, to each his or her own.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1
The first gen VW/Audi DSG left a lot to be desired by all accounts.It acted as you describe, so I"ve read, and the magazines weren"t toocrazy about it for those veryreasons.They have come a long way in the now 3 model years since it"s "06 release.

Hmmm, well, the 2008 A3 I drove during March of 2008 was one of the last FSI powered versions, and the GTI that I drove in September of 2009 was a 2009 model with the new TSI motor. Both cars had the latest DSG software, and both acted as I described.

ORIGINAL: virgin1
Mitsu is said to have a wonderful 7-sp semi-auto, as does BMW and Porsche. As an engineer you know that they will get the software right sooner or later.
And my reference before to the software was said rathertongue-in-cheek, asthe limits of most are there to protect the car from bad driving... i.e. goingabove red-line for extended periods of time. Those kinds of limits are OK by me.
I don"t think I will miss the clutch pedal all that much. Especially if the trannyoffers a good drive. And I will say this again, I have driven sticks (3-spds, 4-spds, 4-spds w/electric OD, and 5-spds) in all kinds of vehicles since I was 14 and that was over 35 yrs ago.
You and I have been driving about the same amount of time and have driven what sound like a very similar array of vehicles; and yet, we are going to have to differ on the manual transmission thing. Why? I am not at all convinced that software can overcome the latency in shifting, errr, at least until a three clutch DSG style automatic is introduced. The thing is, with the two clutch design, there is always the chance that the driver is going to request something that the transmission is not ready to deliver, and when that happens, you get latency. Now, if there was a transmission that had say gears 1 and 3 slaved to one clutch, gears 2 and 4 slaved to a second, and gears 3 and 6 slaved to a third, then all the computer needs to do when the current gear is between 2 and 5 is to make sure that the next higher and next lower gear are always selected, then if the driver asks for a shift, all the computer needs to do is select which clutch to engage.

That said, even if such a transmission was to be made, and even if it was neurally wired to my brain so that it would know what I was thinking regarding speed and intensity of the next desired shift, I still would not want one, errr, at leastfor as long as I am hale and hardy. Geez, back in 2003 I badly broke my right leg and partially tore that foot off, and I was on crutches and non-weight bearing for six months in a rigid cast. Wifey took the 530i 5-Speed and I got the minivan (which I drove left footed after slinging my cast over into the passenger footwell). Those six months were sheer automotive driving hell, and as the cast-off (so to speak) date approached, my wife could occasionally be heard saying that she was going to break my other leg so that she could keep driving the 5er.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM

i bought mine in august of 2007 and i was looking at the GT and i looked at the brocure. standard equipment means like the luxury package and whatever. i guarantee the price of the automatic is into the actual sticker price of the car. trust me man. im gonna say welcome to the forum anyhow lol. granted you havent heard it. cuz we been fighting with you lol. but anyway i just wanna hear what happens next.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:03 AM

Did you even go look at either Link I posted Maze3?????
Both of those links Clearly say you are wrong. If your dealer said they didn"t have 1 because in the ignorance didn"t order any, or none were available at that second in turn does not mean that the model was not built.
And I also Stated that the window sticker on my 07 also said the Automatic was standard equipment, so going by your logic there was not an 07 Mazda 3 S built with a Manual either. With a Mazda window sticker, standard equipment is controlled by the model ordered, so in other words if a car is ordered with a manual trans, that is standard equipment, if ordered with an automatic it is standard equipment.
I do know if I am wrong, I am big enough to admit it also, but that in turn is a maturity issue there, and I in turn have proved that your car was available with a standard trans twice. So You are wrong, get over it and go sit in your corner thinking you are right.

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual Option?