Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Behind Glove Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Default RE: Behind Glove Box

its not a good idea. im telling you its gonna be a pain in the *** and youll end up spending more money getting this done then if you were to have it done the normal way

Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Not trying to argue here but, how is 'the normal' way less wiring and easier? The way I'm understanding it, it's just one wire to the trunk for the sub. All the other wiringis short runs right there at the head unit. I'm not taking the amp in and out. And once it is set, you never touch it again. I'm sorry but, I'm just not following how this is all that complicated.
Thanks for all your input guys. It's certainly helping before I dump any money into it.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 PM

the normal way is alot easier then what your thinking. if you put it int he glove box it means you have to disassemble the glovebox, wire the amp through the rear speakers, because there are no RCA outputs on the deck, so your gonna have use a LOC and with that you will wire up the rear speakers as i said, and i mean both (otherwise it will not work well) and then wire it all up. then you would have to get enough wire to make it look clean all the way to the LOC and if you dont have long enough RCA's its gonna be a problem. im just saying that it will be a hassle and it will cost alot of money to have somebody do it for you. its custom, so its gonna cost alot of money

Old 01-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Oh. I'm not following how LOCs are installed then. Wouldn't they just connect to the speaker wire under the dash? For a 5-channel amp, don't they splice from the rear speaker out to provide signal to the 5th channel. All the inputs would be right at the dash. Then one speaker wire run to the trunk. That's how I'm picturing it in my head at least.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM

nonono. you need RCA's in order to run your amp to your deck. and seeing as how your deck doesnt have RCA's you need something to hook it up to the subwoofers, and thats where the rear speakers come to play, and then the LOC comes out to play as well. take a look at your deck. there is nowhere to setup the RCA's at all.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 PM

This is how I envision it.
Pull the glove box and the stock head unit. You find the speaker wires at the head unit and you cut them. You connect the speaker wires coming from the head unit to the LOC. You connect the speaker wires that are going to the speakers to the amp's outputs. You connect RCAs to the LOC. The front RCAs connect to the amp. The rear RCAs connect to Y RCA adapters and those then connect to the amp for the rear channel and the sub input. You then run one speaker wire from the amp to the trunk. You run the power and ground and shove it all in.
I'm not seeing how this is more difficult or custom than running all that back to the trunk. It's all right there and there's only one speaker wire run to the trunk. I have to be missing something.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 PM

BTW Jaimie, both of my amps are wired for stereo output as well as RCA"s.
Aubrey, are you planning on putting the amp in the glove compartment where the navigation system would set, or the actual spot behind the glove box. I will give you some actual measurement tomorrow since I have mine apart putting the Sirius unit in, but truthfully there is barely enough room behind to zip tie that in there behind the harnesses. but there is a cut out to run the navigation harness in to the back of the glove box.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 PM

your missing the REMOTE wire. and yea i have the stereo output too. but also its kinda risky to cut the wires from the deck then to just do it through the rear speakers themselves. you have to know which ones are the rear speakers too. i wouldnt do that

Old 01-13-2009, 04:36 AM

Going in from just the rear would not get him the desired affect, since he wants to put more into the all the door speakers as well as put a sub in the trunk.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 AM

Siber, I didn't know a nav system went in there. If you have a pic of how that sits in there, that'd be great. My thought is to put the amp inside the glove box. I was wondering what was behind the glove box so a small fan could be mounted to the back of it so, a little gap between it and the firewall would be needed.

Jaimie, I'm not following when you say 'just do it through the rear speakers themselves.' You're talking about wiring from all of the speakers themselves and not the head unit? At some point you have to get to the back of the head unit right? Or no? And the remote wire would be there as well right?

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Behind Glove Box