Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Braided Steel Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Default Braided Steel Brake Lines

Hello All,

Has anyone considered or actually installed braided steel brake lines on your car? I have had a couple bikes that I replaced the rubber lines with braided steel and there was a remarkable difference in the pedal/handle feel.

I think the 3 has great brakes from the factory, mine are non-ABS. I am just curious if anyone has any opinions about steel lines for a MZ3.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Like a lot of things on this car... Haven't done it. Want to do it. Have only read good things about it. I say if ya' got the $$$ Go For It!!

BTW: I believe, and IIRC, there should be a smilie face behind the quote in your sig. I said that very tongue-in-cheek.
(How does one talk with their tongue in their cheek?)

Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 AM

I haven't even priced them, are you aware of any kits for our cars? I can look it up but I am more curious than anything. The War Dept. has not yet lifted the moratorium on superfluous spending. (Of which this would definitely fall into)

As far as the quote, it was getting dated...but it was still hilarious.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

There are a number of sources for them, but I can't personally recommend one over another.
The Tire Rack and Protege Garage are 2, perhaps Goodwin Racing also. I like doing business with this last one. He doesn't have the largest inventory, but usually good prices, good service and he is a knowledgeable racer.

If I have time when I get home, I'll try to do some additional research for you.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

RPM: http://www.therpmstore.com/index.php...kdiaobaf82tph5

Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...4&autoModClar=

Corksport: http://www.corksport.com/04-08-mazda...ds-and-rotors/

Well, there are three different places anyway... in no particular order BTW.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 AM

Thanks Richard!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to be of service, Sir.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Huh. Cost's not that bad, realtively speaking. $100 to $160 for a set of 4. Now, how to sell this to Mama...

Might as well change the fliud while I'm at it, any thought on DOT 5 brake fluid? I don't think ABS (I do not have ABS) systems like DOT 5 but we used to run it in our bikes.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blk03PSD
Now, how to sell this to Mama...
That's ALWAYS my problem too.
I would change the fluid but I'd stick w/DOT3.
Though when I first read about it back in the mid-'80's I had every intention of trying it, I have no personal experience w/DOT5 but like the fact that it is not hydroscopic like other brake fluids. But from what I have read about it over the years, the downfalls of it are: Lower boiling point causing a loss of braking ability under extreme conditions; will trap moiture in the system and cause corrossion, usually at the high spots of the system; will create a spongy feeling pedal, just what you are trying to get away from.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Virgin, you still live with your mother?

I've heard good comments and don't waste your money comments on braided brake lines. I even asked a shop about pricing on them and they said they could get me a price but not to waste my money. So I didn't go any further. It helps in the abbrasion department and burst strength (I'm guessing) but regular rubber brake lines are not expanding enough under pressure for you to feel any difference.

Just what I heard but, by all means put them on and let us know for sure!

Quick Reply: Braided Steel Brake Lines