Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

CALLING ALL M3 EXPERTS - Codes/OBDII reading help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 02:06 PM
Exclamation CALLING ALL M3 EXPERTS - Codes/OBDII reading help!

I have a 2006 Mazda 3 2.3L engine with OBD II readings that I need help troubleshooting.

Problems: Sputtering, riding rough, poor gas mileage, overheating off/on
Codes: p304, 401, 441 455, 2177, 2407, 304, 841

Fixes so far: Change spark plugs, change ignition coils, replaced valve cover, cleaned MAF sensor (both in tube/and temp wand) changed oil, flushed radiator, replaced hose and water outlet, replace top pass engine mount

This has nothing to do with engine, I think (?), had the problems prior and after this work - changed control arms, inner outer tie rods, sway bar links - Now, after this , there was a whirling sound (I say it sounds like the passenger side, the passenger says it sounds like the drivers side)... kinda like a plane engine revving up. It gets louder the faster I drive. Just a side question - what should I look at to diagnose this noise? It's only when the car is moving so...

After fixes, continuing problems: riding rough, overheated after running 2 miles turned on a/c dropped immediately then hasn't gone back up again (drove another 25 miles).
Codes P2177

Attaching last readings in a Excel spreadsheet from Torque app (you can open with Google Sheets).

Questions:
  • In this spreadsheet, EGR has sporadic readings and drops to 0 (I don't know if this is normal?)
  • CAT spiked to 1495*F, but then second drive (don't have spreadsheet) it stayed at about 700*F.
  • Previous owner looks as if he went mudding with this car. The entire bottom of the car was caked with mud. I've sprayed as much as I coud off and a chunk of dirt fell out of the second cat (shield?)
  • Not showing a CAT Bank 1 Sensor 2 (not sure if it's the app or if there isn't one?)
  • Timing Advance normal(?)
  • Bad Battery(?)
  • Bad EGR(?)
  • Bad PCV or hose(?)
  • Any recommendations to check each of these before taking the entire engine and exhaust apart?

Attached Files
File Type: csv
M310_25.csv (18.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Theresa Darlak; 10-27-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:27 PM

I Removed my response because after I posted you added and changed your first post (time time line editing) therefore parts of my response was based on your unedited response.

Good Luck

Last edited by Callisto; 10-27-2020 at 06:13 PM. Reason: self explanatory ^^^
Old 10-27-2020, 02:55 PM

Yes, and you passed! Thank you for the feedback!

Some of the work was performed after I discovered oil in the spark plug wells (Sorry, I forgot I had replaced the valve cover and cleaned out the wells).
I decided to replace the coils at that time (200k mi. on it).
There was a leak in water outlet (plastic crap,replaced w/metal) and engine mount was leaking oil.
Also, due to Covid, I have only drove the car up and back to the store about 1 mi., and there was some carbon fouling on the plugs and the MAF sensor cleaning was recommended.

I cleared the codes, and let the car idle for 20 min w/o a/c or anything else running, then 20 min w/a/c running full blast to reset timing after cleaning the MAF sensor.
No codes until after driving for about 30 min. until... P2177

Last edited by Theresa Darlak; 10-27-2020 at 04:04 PM.