Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Changing transmission fluid 2010 Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 06:08 AM
Default Changing transmission fluid 2010 Mazda 3

I would like to change the transmission fluid on my 2010 Mazda 3. I changed the fluid a few years ago using a method that disconnected a line from a canister then using the starter to turn over the engine pumping out 3 quarts at a time and then replacing with new fluid each cycle until clean fluid shows. Can anyone point me to a source of how to do this procedure? I've searched here but can't seem to find it.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:31 AM
Default Mazda transmission issue

Your method sounds similar to how I changed tranny fluid on other makes. I own a 2012 2.0 nonskyactiv. I had the dealer change my fluid around the 30000 mile mark mostly because of the car being used by prior owner and still under warranty! I have around 60000 on it now and thinking about doing it myself. I researched this as well and leaning onto draining fluid out of pan and dumping in fresh fluid every 30000. Every second change I would drop pan and replace filter and gasket. So in my case I would change fluid at 60000 and at 90000 change fluid, gasket and filter. This is not a proven method rather this is something I'm comfortable with. What kind of fluid are you using and how often do you do it? I have found the Scotty Kilmer and Eric the Car Guy channels on YouTube is very helpful for maintenance tips

Old 02-08-2020, 11:28 AM

I used Valvoline Synthetic Import MV (multivehicle) transmission fluid. Here are the steps I took.

1. Remove trans pan drain plug, you'll drain about 3qts old fluid from the pan.

2. Add 3qts new fluid via transmission dipstick.

3. Disconnect outflow hose of stock transmission cooler and put it into a gallon jug. This is the small tuna-can looking thing under your car in front of the transmission.

4. Turn on your car, keep e-brake on, push on brake pedal, and put the car into drive. This will pump trans fluid through your system.

5. Fill the gallon jug 3/4 full (3qts), put the car in park, turn it off.

6. Add 3 more quarts of new fluid via transmission dipstick.

7. Repeat steps 4-6 until the fluid being pumped into your gallon jug is fresh, new, red transmission fluid. This means you've pumped out all the old fluid.

8. Re-connect your transmission cooler hose, take the car for a drive, and check your transmission fluid level while car is running. Make sure you cycle through all your gears, including neutral and reverse. Top off if necesssary.

The hardest part was getting the cover off! All the screws were rusted, I put Neversieze on them when I reassembled.