Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Coilovers for the 3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Default Coilovers for the 3?

Can anyone suggest a good set of coilovers for my 2008 mazda 3 s?
I want decent ones but not expensive ones!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM

There are several different companies to choose from, but I would HIGHLY recommend the BC coilovers. You have two types really to choose from:

BC BR or BC Ram (inverted)

The BR series is easier to adjust, little cheaper and would be plenty for the NA mazda 3. The Inverted will cost a bit more, but are comparable to Tein Mono-Flexs that cost $1,000+ more. Adjustment is done under the car, but it isn't that bad. Performance in corners goes up a bit more, but if you aren't road coursing or tracking your car, the BR would be the way to go.

Highly, Highly recommend Rear camber plates and Damping adjustment extenders (that way you don't have to pull your back seat out to adjust the stiffness).

I have the Inverted and LOVE them. But they are on my STi, not on my Mazda. I will be getting the BR type for my Mazda 3 though.

www.Importimageracingonline.com Email or call Josh and tell him what you want. Tell him a guy from Nasioc told you about it and he will cut you a good deal. His sight doesn't say it has NA 3's, but he can get you the BC's for the 3 cheaper than anywhere else.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 PM

if your not going to track or road race the car then you dont need the coilovers, you have a few options if your not. One you could upgrade to the speed 3 suspension if you just want a little bit more handling. Or you can get the Mazdaspeed shocks (from dealer not the car) and your choice of springs (i recommend road magnets), racing beat sway bars and mazdaspeed rear camber plates if you want a really good setup with a clean drop. Again coilovers are unessarry unless you plan on using them alot for off road events or just want a very low drop and not care about the ride quality, but yes if you want coilovers then either get the BC's or for a little bit more with a warranty get the Mazdaspeed coilovers. Also beware getting it as low as possible has proven to hinder performance on our 3, max drop w/o making it worse is 1.75in

Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 AM

How much would the Mazdaspeed shocks be from a dealer? And how much would the Mazdaspeed coilovers be? Would those fit the sedan Mazda3?
I'm trying to explore all of my options.

My main goal is to be able to improve handling, cornering and decreasing body roll. I won't be tracking my car, just want to improve the suspension and handling.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 PM

then heres a suggested list

Mazdaspeed shocks and struts - 498-540
Eibach pro, road magnet or racing beat springs - 195- 230
Racing beat, progress sway bars- 130-360
Mazdaspeed rear camber kit - 225-250
Vibrant strut tower brace- 70

That list is gonna give you a nice start, its based around a very basic street setup, im not to sure what the story with the mazdaspeed rear camber kit, ive heard ppl say that it wasent needed to correct the camber and its not adjustable so i dont know.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks!
Would I need to by all of that or is some of it not needed?
Could I start off with mazdaspeed shocks and struts, and springs?
And where could I purchase the mazdaspeed shocks and struts?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM

You add up the cost of the Mazdaspeed struts/shocks, and springs and you are so close to the cost of getting the coilovers.

I agree with tracker that lowering the car too much hinders performance. The wonderful thing about the coilover is that it is height adjustable. Spring/strut combo you are stuck.

Coilovers allow for better fitment if you want to do a more aggressive wheel down the road too. They handle WAY better, you can adjust damper so that it is like a Cadillac on the main roads and you can crank it down and it rides like a go kart if you track it. Can mazdaspeed springs/struts do that?

I have had springs/struts and now I have coilovers. I would never do the springs/struts again on any car.

BC has an amazing warranty.

Sways, get the hotchkiss. Vibrant strut bar is niceeee as well.

Another aspect is your rim/tire combo. You can buy OE STi rims for $500 all the time on www.nasioc.com They are the same bolt pattern for the 05+ STi as the Mazda 3. They are a 17x8 with a +52 offset. Put a 235 tire on that with the coilovers, sways and your car will handle like a FREAKING dream. I am talking 60+ mph and you'll take 90* turns no problem.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:02 AM

Do the BC's have camberplates on them?!
Does that mean no need for a camber kit?
Those are niceeeee coilovers.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by MazdaAEM
Do the BC's have camberplates on them?!
Does that mean no need for a camber kit?
Those are niceeeee coilovers.
The front has camber plates but the rear doesn't come with them originally, rear camber plates are a little extra. If you have the camber plates you don't need camber bolts or any other kits. People have taken these coilovers to a -3.5 camber which is way more than you will ever want or need.

For street driving do a -1.7 Front and a -2 rear and your car will handle OH so much better.

The Damper is 32 way adjustable. Full soft seriously rides like a cadillac. For every day driving I do about 12 from full soft in front and 16 rear. Tracking I bring it to a 20 front and 25 rear and it is like a go kart.

Also get the rear extenders so you don't have to pull the seat out to adjust damper if you get the BR. If you get inverted, you don't have to worry. BR is plenty for the 3 though.

Call josh at Import image racing online and he will give you the best price guaranteed.

Promise, coilovers are constant smiles. Turn on a dime, and so flexible with adjustments that there is no comparison to springs/struts.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 PM

if you wanna get coilovers thats fine, depending on where you purchase the Mazdaspeed shock and strut combo varies, its cheaper to purchase them from an aftermarket dealer and they still come with warranty.

This link is sticky for a reason https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/aftermarket-performance-websites-8120/